help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

Can anyone tell me what model this is? Japan/USA etc...

Re: help

That is a Charvel model 3DR probably made around 1988 or so. NICE guitar, especially with the sharkfins. Is that yours?
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

The neck is throwing me. I don't recall an old logo Charvel reverse with sharks...But, the body looks like a Charvel Predator, possibly the older 3DR. But neither of those guitars had sharkfin inlay. The tremolo looks like a JT-590 which would make the body from the modern era Charvel series. Japanese for sure. But that neck, what model Charvel had a reverse headstock with REVERSE sharks?
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

BTW, it was made in Japan.

Comment

I thought they did put the sharks on some 3DR's???
          Mine doesn't have them though. hmmmm.

Something else I just noticed, that one has a recessed trem cavity plus the body edges look too rounded for a 3DR.

I should have looked more carefully before jumping in here. Sorry.

[ March 27, 2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: mm2002 ]

Comment

Right, the body is indicative of a recent era Charvel, the ones with the "toothpaste" scripted logo. The evidence for that is the Schaller trem (vs. the JT-6) and the more Dinky style body (vs. the more strat shape). But, the neck is clearly the old school Charvel logo with the "guitar shaped" logo. But, as I said before, I've never seen the old Charvel logoed neck with a reverse headstock and with reverse sharks. Very odd indeed.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yeah, I've never seen a reverse headstock with sharktooths either. Be interesting to know what the plate has on it and get a look at the backside.

[ March 27, 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

The 3DR is the first bolt on of the "Model" series to have a dinky body. (quoted from the "Mother" page) From a scanned catalog picture, I can't tell whether tremolo was recessed.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

I know the model 88's had the reverse headstocks with sharkfins and the old logo but I don't think I ever saw it with reverse inlays like that.
                  Hmmmmmmmm [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I want one! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Were there any lefty charvel model (1234's) made?

Otherwise I'd also say the body is from the toothpaste era (Body shape, trem, and non-covered jackson pups)

Comment

Tekky, the 3DR's didn't have the Dinky style body as this one does. They had the standard strat shape but with sharper edges just like the later "toothpaste" logo'd Charvel Predator's did. This one also has the triangular route for the neck pickup as opposed to the 3DR's which had the straight oval route like the 3's, 4's, 5's, and 6's. If I had to guess, this looks like a later model Jackson or Charvel with the headstock (logo) changed.
                      I'm sorry, but this looks like a mod. to me.
                      Does anybody know?

Comment

OK Melander, I think what everyone would like to see is a close up pic of the headstock, and maybe a pic of the back of the body. I do know that the old white Charvel logo on a black headstock is a hard one to reproduce and make it look right.

Comment

For me it looks like this:
                          http://musicon.ru/detail.php?userid=...&codpg=1000010
                          (Russian site)
                          This Charvel must be Japan and made only for Japan. (like my Fusion Plus - same guitar-shaped logo and year is 93). Tremolo probably Takeuchi, but I`m not sure...

Sorry for my bad english...I am from Russia.

Comment

OK Melander, I think what everyone would like to see is a close up pic of the headstock, and maybe a pic of the back of the body. I do know that the old white Charvel logo on a black headstock is a hard one to reproduce and make it look right.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">allright, i'll try to get some more pictures. i found it at www.ishibashi.co.jp/u-box a japanese site. 29800 YEN - 239,89 USD. i live in sweden and a friend just ordered a guitar from that site, no problems and the shipping fee was 16000 YEN + tax and stuff.

[ March 28, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Melander ]

Comment

I can't read a dern thing on that site, but I typed Charvel in what I thought was the Search feature (thank goodness I was right) and two VERY sweet charvels of note came up...

One was the Model 7 in black.. (OHHHH MAMA!!!) and the other was a really cool Model 4 with what looks like an orange logo.. (DAYUM!!!)
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X