thinning necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinning necks?

I recently bought an RR1! I'm currently in the process of sanding it down! But the neck on it is a little thick for my tastes as well!! Anyone ever thin one down, or got any suggestions on how to do it?? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Thanks!!
    I love admins!

Re: thinning necks?

Sandpaper... take your time.
    Do it by hand... don't use any power tools.
    Remember... it's easy to sand away some wood, but impossible to put it back.
    -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Sandpaper... take your time.
      Do it by hand... don't use any power tools.
      Remember... it's easy to sand away some wood, but impossible to put it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">agreed, and make yourself a series of templates out of cardboard to give yourself an idea of what you're after before you start. </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Would I sand up and down the neck fullstrokes everytime to keep things consistent? What kind of templates are you referring about? Not sure whatcha mean?
        I love admins!

Comment

Always sand with the grain, so yes... up and down the neck.
          As for templates, make a template of the shape you are trying to achieve.
          Do you want a full C profile or a thin "Wizard" type profile?
          Whatever it is, make a template of the shape you want so that the finished neck shape will be consistant.
          As your sanding, keep running the temaplate up and down the neck to make sure you're on track.
          -Rick

Comment

Ok so I really like the shape of my sl1's neck so I could make a template from that?? It's pretty thin!! How would I make a template of that?? and what would i make a template out of?? Cardboard??
            I love admins!

Comment

SAndpaper or a rasp if you´re careful and have some experience... I think recommending a drawknife would be a bit too much [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't go to far - the truss rod cavity will poke through if you do.

Comment

Yes, make templates from your SL1 neck. You want to make a template of the rear shape of the neck, the part people refer to "C" shaped or "D" shaped. This will be kinda hard to cut out of paper by yourself. Woodworking supply houses sell a template shape matching thing that is rows of thin plastic plates that you can push against the item to get the shape CLICK HERE! FOR AN EXAMPLE (I've seen similar metal plate things in hardware stores). This would be a lot easier than trying to cut the neck shape into cardboard!

You also should measure the SL1 neck and the neck you want to sand so you know how far to go. If you don't have calipers or micrometer, you can cut a rectangular notch in the cardboard that represents the thickness from front of fingerboard to back of neck. You might have to cut a few trial and error this way, but within a few trys you'll have it.

Comment

poor little rhoads.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Here we go again [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] If it helps you Sully, its an SD Rhoads! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
                        I love admins!

Comment

SD? Then it totally needs a wizard profile with a kramer headstock!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

you guys are brutal. i love those old rhoads profiles.
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

so is it SD or an RR1?
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X