PING!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PING!

While showing how well my old M6 can still hold its' tune, suddenly I heard a ping and the d & g strings were out! Upon further inspection...I found no grooves in the blocks of the locking nut. Now,I know there has been other posts about this prob, but I have yet to find them(or remember were they are). The neck is straight.The JT6 is locked tight.Just let me sleep knowing that it is my locking nut only! Down here it is a far drive to any guitar center, so any advice is good advice. The trem seems to be working properly and I know it has to be the nut!I guess I just need to here it from you guys. (And gals)

[ March 26, 2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Rikrok ]

Re: PING!

SOUNDS like those 2 saddles SLIPPED in the little slots...One of the downsides of JT-6s...OFRs have three positions for the 2mm bolt holding down the saddles...The JT-6 has the hex-headed bolt going through the base plate to a small nut that slides back and forth...

Comment

Is it possible to get just an OFR nut!?!?

Comment

DUH! (to my last reply) Thanx!

Comment

You haven't taken the trem off the guitar lately have you?? I know one time, I took a trem off a guitar for some maintanance work and when I put it back on I didn't realize that it wasn't sitting in the grooves of the trem post the right way (it was an Ibanez, so that might explain it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). I tuned the guitar, had everything up to snuff and gave the bar a good **WHACK** and heard a big PING noise and it was instantly out of tune. But I felt the bridge move under my palm so I realized right away what had happened.... Just a thought.......

BTW, didn't realize if you understood what Doc was saying, but he's talking about the saddles at teh bridge end where you would adjust the intonation, I think if I read that correct.

(EDIT) O.K. now it's my turn...
          DUH to my response!! I misunderstood your original post..... When you said D&G strings, I was thinking a brand of strings, not the individual D & G strings... I get it now... It's been a long day [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] ......

[ March 24, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Stephan ]

Comment

That's cool dude! Long day here, too! I did take the trem off to do the repaint that I posted a while back. I have played it since, but the noise was in the nut. I do have a OFR nut off of an old Ibanez. I'll try it tomorrow!

Comment

what about bass trems? every now and then,after useing the bar, my bass does the ping and the g string is out. i've changed strings and it will still do it.any ideas? it's not often enough to really be a problem but i am curious. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] btw,it doesn't always go flat or sharp, but come to think, it depends on which way i'm useing the bar,pull up and goes flat and vise versa

[ March 25, 2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: peabuddy ]
              The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Hmm, makes sense that it would go flat after release if your pulling up on the bar.... especially if the saddle is not snug. If you think about it, when you pull up on the bar (to go sharp) it would put more tension on the string and saddle, causing it to slip toward the nut thus causing the string to go flat. Now if it goes sharp by pushing down on the bar, your on your own there.... By pushing down, your loostening the string and it wouldn't cause the saddle to slip backwards (which would cause it to go sharp on return), just ain't physically possible. Now if your locking nut isn't up to snuff, it would possibly cause it to go sharp/flat by allowing the string to slip through it when it slacks up.... Just some possible reasons..... I'm sure someone here with a more enlightened guitar knowledge could add more info and possibilities to the list [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Comment

Originally posted by Stephan:
                  O.K. now it's my turn...
                  DUH to my response!! I misunderstood your original post..... When you said D&G strings, I was thinking a brand of strings, not the individual D & G strings... I get it now... It's been a long day [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] ......
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Retract that DUH, Stephan! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  I was thinking D&G brand also! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

stephen,i'm sorry i forgot to mention there is no locking nut on my bass.do you think it's binding on the nut?

Comment

Could be, if that is the case, get a pencil and "coat" the nut slots with pencil lead "residue" (for lack of a better word [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ). Just rub the pencil lead in there, it's the cheapest form of graphite there is and should work to help make the nut slots more slippery and should help with any binding problem you might have.

Hey RacerX, is there such a thing as D&G brand strings [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ......

Comment

I fixed my post. Sorry for the confusion! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

thanks stephan, i'll try that

Comment

Working...
                          X