J50BC, J200's, J2000 preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J50BC, J200's, J2000 preamp

So... I have this Model 1a. 3 noisy Jackson singles of course. I score this electronics package and I attempt to install it in the Model 1a
    What a nightmare.
    1st. I thought the preamp was a J1200. Nope. Its the J2000 with the active bass and treble controls.
    2nd. You can't fit a humbucker in a Model 1a unless you route out the cavity.
    3rd. Even the J200's were bottoming out.
    4th. There is no room in the control cavity for a volume, mid control, 2 bass and 2 treble controls, and a 5 way switch.
    So.. what did I do?
    1st. I routed out the single cut out on the pickguard to accept the humbucker
    2nd. I routed out the body so the humbucker could be installed (I just had to route out pockets for the pickup legs)
    3rd. I wired everything in and stuffed it all back together.
    How does is sound?
    Not too good. The J2000 preamp is noisy and overpowering.
    I then ripped it all apart and removed the J2000 preamp and all the controls. I wired it up:
    J50BC, J200,J200, 5 way switch and 1 volume. I used a 500K pot only. I may switch it out to a 1 meg no load pot when I need to do a string change.
    How does it sound. Good. Damn good.
    Its a tiny bit dark sounding but in a good way. The J50BC reminds me alot of a JB or PAF Pro. The J200's are very similar in tone and output to an EMG Select or the Fender Gold Lace Sensor. Now the guitar is workable.
    I am taking her to band rehearsal tonight.
    I am pretty impressed with the J200's and the J50BC. I removed the cover of the humbucker. It was a crappy plastic cover that was stuck on with a glob of wax. It just popped right off.

Re: J50BC, J200\'s, J2000 preamp

Cool. Got any pics? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I quite liked the tone of the J50BC too, but it had too weak output for me. I didn't like the J200s at all, but I'm considering trying one again in the neck position with a 1M volume pot.

Comment

Yeah, the J2000 is for basses, and doesn't do much for guitars except on clean tones, but you have to have the highs and lows already accented in your amp/rig to really notice anything.

That "one and only 3-knobbed Import Lightning Bolt Star" that's running around out there was mine, and I added the 3rd hole when I mounted the J2K in it. Wired the hums for some kinda sick funk tone with a Jackson 5-way switch at #3, and the circuit did kinda show up like that, but mostly only with boosted bass and highs - you could add more mud and hiss, that was about it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Yeah, the J2000 is for basses, and doesn't do much for guitars except on clean tones, but you have to have the highs and lows already accented in your amp/rig to really notice anything.

That "one and only 3-knobbed Import Lightning Bolt Star" that's running around out there was mine, and I added the 3rd hole when I mounted the J2K in it. Wired the hums for some kinda sick funk tone with a Jackson 5-way switch at #3, and the circuit did kinda show up like that, but mostly only with boosted bass and highs - you could add more mud and hiss, that was about it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that the J2000 preamp was a bass preamp.
        At first I thought it was the J1200 but it has too many wires coming out of it. I went off the Jackson wiring pdf and it matches the J2000.

Comment

John,

Those pickups with the JE-1500 "wah" are what come standard on a Fusion (US or Professional). There is a switch so you can go through the JE-1500 or run passive. The tone pot is a dual pot - in passive mode it's a standard tone; active, it controls the mid freq just like the parametric EQ's you like. No way to control boost or cut however.

I love the tone of the J50BC passive. The J200's are dark passive, but going through the JE-1500, they sound sparkley and straty IMO. Knowing how you love SRV, I think you might want to give it a shot.

Comment

go for the j50bc without the preamp. i think it sounds pretty good by itself. i have one i used in my fernandes revolver pro for a while. its got a nice "big" sound to it.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
            X