Import Charvel vs. Import Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import Charvel vs. Import Jackson

I currently own one of each (1988 Model 3 and a 2000 DR-3), among other things. I like both, BUT, is it just me or do the older import Charvels seem to be of better overall quality than the current import Jacksons?

The Model 3 is what I consider to be my first decent guitar. I picked up the DR3 on a whim, but the DR3 doesnt seem to get played much anymore. Like the trem on the DR3 better, other than that, I like everything about the Model 3 better. Anyone?

Re: Import Charvel vs. Import Jackson

I think the '86-91 Charvel/Jackson imports were of higher quality than the current Jackson imports. Of course, I believe they were relatively more expensive then than they are now. J/C faces more competition from all the Samick-made Korean imports from Schecter, ESP, Kramer, etc., so I think they've had to install cheaper components than before and cut back on the manufacturing costs. But overall, I think the current J/C imports still play very well, but their long-term durability may not be as good as the old imports, which have held up very well.

Comment

Call me crazy, but I think some of my 750XL's are better quality than a several of the USA Jackson's I've had in the past!!

Comment

The Model guitars were much higher quality IMHO.

My Model 4 listed at $899 back in 87 and that's what I paid + $100 for the case [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ahhhhh memorys of the old time mom and pop stores prices pre-internet.

Comment

I have a Model 6 and a DR3.When I was working on my M6, I played the DR3 exclusively. I guess I got used to it because it plays really well.I am glad to be able to play the M6 again.This is my weapon of choice, but I really enjoy the DR3s' neck and fretboard!

Comment

Working...
          X