Painting a Floyd.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a Floyd.......

What kind of paint do you guys use to touch up the finish on a painted Floyd?.............................
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Re: Painting a Floyd.......

Besides doing a powdercoat which can be expensive and screw with the machining tolerences, I use PJ1 Satin Epoxy engine enamel aerosol (spray can) available through motorcycle supply houses or dealerships. The stuff is slow to dry, but you can bake it in an oven (make sure the significant other is out of the house) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] for an even harder finish. I bake it at 300F for about 20-30 mins. It will be as hard as nails or any powdercoat you will ever use.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Good to know, however, remind me to never eat any cookies baked at YOUR house! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Good to know, however, remind me to never eat any cookies baked at YOUR house! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 LOL

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
          [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Yea, I think it adds a peculiar taste to Choc. Chips! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Those "chips" are CHOCOLATE! [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Wow! Cooking trems and baking cookies. I've gotta party with you guys! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Throw it in the mircrowave for extra fun! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I used a Krylon Acrylic Lacquer 1613 Semi-Flat Black, not to shiney or to flat it looks identical to the orig. JT-6 tremolo finish. Being lacquer it dries instantly & be retouched as much as want. About 4-5 bucks........ here's a pic of finished product.........

Last edited by SGplayer; 03-30-2006, 10:56 PM.

Comment

SGPlayer, did you use any kind of priming before the paint?

Comment

I'd have to imagine, it being laquer, you will be re-touching it quite alot.
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

No I didn't use any even though a black primer wouldn't hurt, that way when you wear thru or scatch it will hit the underneath primer!! Nice thing is you can retouch anytime with a Q-tip & some paint to touch up, of course if you can locate a semi-gloss epoxy spray paint that would be alot harder to scratch?????????

Comment

And did you paint it a long time ago? I'm just curious about its durability...

Comment

painted it a few months ago, okay durability, but can easily re-touch.......

Comment

Working...
                            X