Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to heavier string

Hi,

I'm going from 9-52 to 10-56 on my 7 string RR7R. Should the neck tension be checked? Some people told me the neck may bind a little bit because of the higher string tension. Is that true?

Thanks!

Re: Switching to heavier string

Yes, you'll probably have to tighten the truss rod a tiny bit (turn it to the right, clockwise).
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's even better if you learn to sight down the neck. Hold the guitar like a rifle (upright), and sight down the edge of the fretboard. After you've changed the strings, tuned it up and let it sit for a bit, you will probably notice that the neck has gotten more of a forward arch to it. To straighten it, tighten the truss rod a little (about an eighth of a turn). Retune and let it sit for a bit - then check it again. Ideally, the neck should have a tiny amount of forward bow.

Comment

I have never been able to recognise bowing by sight. This tool is great for cock-eyed people like me:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...ng_tools:_Fret,_fingerboard_preparation/Relief_Gauge.html

Comment

I like to fret at the first fret, and also at the 14th fret, and gauge the relief by using that string as the straightedge. About a credit card thickness around the 7th fret is about right.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbilly
            I like to fret at the first fret, and also at the 14th fret, and gauge the relief by using that string as the straightedge. About a credit card thickness around the 7th fret is about right.
            +1
            I use a feeler gauge instead of a credit card, but that's why I get the big bucks!!

Comment

++1
              It's simple and it works.

(who the hell is aceman666?!)
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks, I will try that too.

Comment

Working...
                X