Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend good replacement p/ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend good replacement p/ups?

After long deliberation, I've decided to give my '88 Model 6 a present of some replacement pick-ups. Authenticity is all very well, but the relative weakness of its stock Jackson p/ups has really become apparent to me now I have a '95 San Dimas Standard (with Di Marzios) to compare them to.

It would really helpful if some of you could advise me on what you've found to be the best p/ups to slot into an instrument like this.

My '95 guitar is a really good all-purpose rock instrument, so I can now afford to allow the '88 Model 6 to indulge in full the Heavy Metal side of my musical tastes. Of course, the Model 6 has an H/S/S p/up layout, so I am looking to get the full range of tonal possibilities you can get from that configuration - I don't want something that only does high distortion stuff fantastically and sounds poor for other uses. But I do want to get a real 80s Metal sound (a la Scorpions, Maiden, Priest, etc.), as well as richness of tone when playing clean on neck or neck/middle settings. Am I wanting too much, or is there some combination that'll give me that?

Another consideration is whether I'll still be able to get the benefit of the guitar's active mid-range boost facility if I use different p/ups. It is a nice bonus, and I'd be reluctant to lose it.

All ideas gratefully accepted!

Re: Can anyone recommend good replacement p/ups?

My reflex response for a Metal pickup is an EMG 81, but for a more 80's sound You may want to try a Duncan JB. I also like the Duncan SH14 very much, it's fuller sounding than the JB.

I don't know how this could affect the mid boost functionality. But I suspect the EMG would be a direct replacement. The Duncan I'm not sure. Both companies will help if you call them.

DiMarzios? I'm not a fan. But tone is subjective.

Comment

There's alot of different pickups out there that you could look into...You could try EMG if you want active pickups. Or you could try DiMarizo or Seymour Duncan. I've always wanted to try the Tone Zone myself. There's alot out there to consider though!

Comment

For replacement pickups I usually look no further than Seymour Duncan.

For high gain tones I really like the JD pickup that came with my Journeyman. This is usualy paired with a Jazz (according to the SD Web site this is SD's personal faveorite combination), but my favourite neck pickup is the '59 for those blueier moments, so I think I'd go for a Little '59 in the neck and a Hot Rails in the middle.

(Look contemplateldly at Model 3...)

- Steve K
        Model 3
        Model 5A
        Model 3B
        Journeyman
        Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

I agree with SteveK. I prefer a JB paired with a "59 over the Jazz also. I have that combo in my Les Paul.

Comment

I had a purpleburst Jackson Dinky Professional XL I got from a fellow JCFer that got an AWESOME setup...

Put a Seymour Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom full-sized hum in the bridge {my PERSONAL FAVE}...If you REALLY want to CRUSH CINDER BLOCKS, go with a PATB-2 Distortion Parallel Axis in there {DC resistance is high - 16.4k on the JB, and BONE CRUSHING on the Distortion Parallel Axis - 21.3k !!!}...

In the middle, put a SLSD-1 Lil' Screamin' Demon Bridge Model and...

At the neck a SJBJ-1 JB Jr. Neck Model....

BOTH the latter two are full humbuckers, but in single size...

NOW...HERE is where it gets INTERESTING...Replace ALL 3 mini-toggles with DPDT {double pole/double throw} minis, so in position ONE, EACH pickup is OFF, in position TWO, it allows each hum {bridge, middle and neck} to run FULL ON, and in position THREE, it COIL-TAPS EACH pickup INDIVIDUALLY...You won't need the Jackson Midboost unit, so wire the TOP knob for volume on the neck and middle, the MIDDLE knob for volume ONLY in the bridge, and use the LAST knob off of the hot on the input jack with a capacitor as the tone bleed...

NOW, besides the 7 combinations of the three pickups, you can run EACH PICKUP in EVERY position {bridge, middle and neck} OFF, FULL ON or COIL SPLIT, giving you - like FORTY-TWO variations, and with the two voulumes, the possibilities are about LIMITLESS !!!!!!!

Guys...YOUR opinions ???

{other than, "Doc...It's a STROKE of GENIUS !!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] }

[ March 21, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Doc Dryer ]

Comment

My first answer would be that you can't beat EMGs.
              I would put an 81 in the bridge, SA in the middle and a tele single coil in the neck (they get a GREAT clean tone!!!)
              If you want passive pickups, get a DiMarzio Tone Zone, or you could hunt down an Ultrasonic, which has become the last several pickups I've bought -- they are hard to find, but damn do they sound good!! For single coils, you might check out the DiMarzio Blue Velvets or Duncan Hot Rails.

Comment

So Doc, am I to understand that your completely eliminating the preamp and you are going passive with that setup right? Got a Schematic for that? I just may try it. It sounds like a very versatile setup [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yeah, he's going passive.
                  It does sound of interest. I may try this in my model 4 but with putting a Sustainer single in the neck. The custom custom sound like it would go well with a maple board.

Comment

DiMarzios!!!

I like SOME SD pickups like the JB and the Dimebucker... but overall DiMarzios are my favorites.

I'd go for a set of Evolutions.. or a DiMarzio X2N for the bridge and something like a Humbucker From Hell or PAF Pro in the neck.

Comment

My 650xl is mostly the same guitar as your Model 6, and I've been doing some pickup swapping lately. So here are my tips:

1. I thought the Dimarzio SuperDistortion sounded like crap in my 650xl--very nasally and rough. It sounds great, though, in my Fusion Pro.

2. I now have an EMG-85 in the bridge with the stock middle/neck p'ups disconnected but still installed. EMG-85/81 pickups seem almost custom-made for Soloist-type guitars. They work great.

3. As far as the middle neck pickups, I think you could actually use the stock neck/middle (which I really like) with an EMG bridge, as long as you route them through completely separate volume/tone controls (EMGs require their own low-impedance volume/tone controls that won't work with regular pickups). That is very possible in a Model 6 because you can remove the active preamp and have three slots for v/t controls. I would say a volume for the EMG and separate volume/tone for the middle/neck, just like a regular strat. It will require a bit of rewiring and such, but it's worth learning to do, in my opinion. I am planning to try this setup in my 650xl as soon as I get some time to dig out the soldering iron.

Comment

Word...The ONLY REASON that YOU like DiMarzios...Is that VAI plays them !!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

There are GOOD pickups...of ALL brands...and CRAP pickups...of ALL brands...

The RIGHT pickup for YOU...Is the one that sounds RIGHT to YOUR EARS !!!!!

Comment

LOL I don't play em because Vai plays em.. Vai turned me on to them though. No Bill.. not that kind of turn on. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I was an SD fan, but the Evolutions in my Jem blow away every SD pickup I've heard.

I just get different vibes from each brand as well.

Comment

Which Duncans have you used Word, and in what guitars? I am looking for input on pickups.

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone for all your suggestions. Almost too many! It's going to be hard to choose, but I'll have a lot of fun experimenting. I'm particularly intrigued by some of the more elaborate re-wiring possibilities, which sound fun.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X