Rolling Fretboard Edges - How Too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling Fretboard Edges - How Too?

Hi Everyone. I'm looking to try rolling the edges of my fretboard and was wondering if anyone had any good tools or techniques for doing this? I'm a little hesitant to just go after them with a file or rasp. Thanks for your time. Chris

Re: Rolling Fretboard Edges - How Too?

Are you going to "round" the edges? (bevel a sharp edge).
    Does it have bindings?
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

4000 grit sand paper works fine but remember go a little at a time it is real easy to go too far and ruin a good neck.Is you neck rosewood or maple?You will most likely have to work on the ends of the frets after you roll the edges.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've seen pictures of vintage Gibsons where it looks almost like they took a plainer at a 45 degree angle to the neck, WTF? In the old days, I guess they where fast and efficient.

Comment

Maybe just play the crap out of it?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            4000 grit sand paper works fine

[/ QUOTE ]

4000 grit?? do they even make that or was that a typo and you ment 400?

anyway, depending how gentle you are you can use either 400 or 600 grit to do it. just go little by little and take your time the first time doing it.

-Mike
            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Maybe just play the crap out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Best idea, especially if you have rough hands [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. The neck is maple and I remember playing one that a friend had back in the late 80's that had a really rounded feel to the sides of the fretboards that just felt awesome. I've never been able to find a neck that felt like that since, so I'm taking a stab at recreating it. My friend eventually ruined the neck due to a compulsion to try and thin the back of it to a point where the truss rod actually began to raise through the wood. Strangest thing I ever saw.

Comment

No that wasnt a typo they make 4000,6000 grit paper.I try not to remove too much material on a job of this nature.Remove too much too soon and your screwed that was my point.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                  X