PUP recommendations for my Double Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PUP recommendations for my Double Rhoads

I have the stock PUPS in my 2004 King V and they are ok but I am looking to get something a little better so I am asking everyone for PUP recommendations. I do have an explorer with a Duncan distortion in the bridge and a pearly gates in the neck so I dont want to duplicate that. I am looking for a nice crunchy thick rhythm and a killer screaming lead. I dont do much clean playing with this guitar
    Any Ideas?

Re: PUP recommendations for my Double Rhoads

Duncan Custom(bridge) and Jazz(neck) or EMG 85(bridge)/81(neck). Just my .02 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

DiMarzio X2N.

Comment

If it's a 2004 King V, then it's too small to be a Double Rhoads. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

OK, I thought they called all King V's double Rhoads, Thanks for the info

Comment

They originally did, then they downsized the body to what we know today. If you compare the long wing of a Rhoads to a King V of today, it's longer. Two long Rhoads wings = Double Rhoads.

And as far as a cool pups for it, I'd say a Duncan Custom is a great choice, far better than a JB. And a '59 or Jazz would be a great neck pup.
            If you want even more output, I dig the DiMarzio Super Distortion, Super 3, X2N or even a Duncan Invader in the bridge with a Super 2 in the neck. Check out the specs on both DiMarzio's and Duncan's sites.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If its duncans do I have to go with the trembuckers because of the floyd? Do any of you guys use the sprague orange drop capacitors? I have one in the explorer and it seemed to make a nice difference in the sound as well

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                DiMarzio X2N.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Yep!!

Comment

I would suggest:
                  Evolution neck, Evolution bridge
                  Air Norton neck, Steves Special bridge
                  Duncan Jazz neck, Lawrence XL500 bridge

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I would suggest:

[/ QUOTE ]

I was too lazy to write that up. I agree. Steves Special in the bridge pos are just... uhm.. nice and brutal.
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Distortion and Jazz.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Distortion and Jazz.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this combination is the tonal and output difference between the 2 pickups. The combo adds versatility but it also drastically changes the sound of the guitar when you switch from bridge to neck.

Comment

For what you are describing I gotta go with Dimarzio on this one. Particularly if you want to maintain the output balance. Air Norton Neck, Steve's Special bridge. Thats whats in my Kelly and its an incredible combination. Add a dual sound switch for a really smooth lead tone.

If you don't mind a output variance go with a Custom in the bridge and a Full Shred neck. Thats probably the closest IMO to what you want but the full shred neck is low output so you will have a noticable drop when switching. If you have a gain boost you can add or a pedal that can negate that effect then go with the Custom/Full Shred.

OR if you have a very clear idea of what you want talk to this guy.
                          http://www.manliusguitar.com/
                          Mick made some killer stuff for me and he is great at balancing out pickups. He will be able to figure out exactly how to get that sound you want from your guitar based on woods and what you tell him. Be very specific in describing what you want though. Whats more, his prices are cheaper than Duncan and Dimarzio (only by a little but certainly better than most boutique pickups you might find).

IMO stay away from a Distortion in the bridge, it has too much treble for what it seems like you want. Custom, Invader, Steve's Special would be better choices.

Comment

Thanks guys I have placed an order for

I'll let you know how they sound

Hope my soldering skills are what they used to be

Comment

Originally posted by quakana
                              Thanks guys I have placed an order for

I'll let you know how they sound

Hope my soldering skills are what they used to be
                              Good choice. You will be very happy.