Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel I.D. help.

Ok guys,

This could be my first charvel. I posted here coz' i think it's an import. More than that, i have no idea.

Can someone tell the model, year and specs of her? Besides, is she a good one or just a cheap model? What would be a fair price for her? The guy selling her is looking for $270 with case.

Thanx,

Rodrigo [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[ March 19, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: kuerbo ]
    Facebook - Youtube

Re: Charvel I.D. help.

I'm no help on the model, but it sure looks nice.

I believe toothpaste logo'd Charvels were all post 1988 models made in Japan. (I'm new to Charvels so I could be very wrong)

I just bought my first Charvel too. It's MIJ, but I don't know what it is either!

Got mine for $158.

Comment

It's a 275.
      MIJ 89-91

They go for less than 250.00, usually around 200.00, sometimes less. Depends on how clean the whole deal is and the case if included.
      This site is maintained by Hossman it seems, a fellow JCF member.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Uh, Charvelguy, what site are you talking about? I don't see a link to any site in your post.

Those $250 - $200 include the ohsc or just the guitar?

[ March 19, 2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: kuerbo ]
        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I found out mine is a 475. I got mine for $158 with case. I think I got a good deal and it's not as clean as this 275.

Comment

Thanks Dave-o,

I'm gonna try it this saturday. I'll let you guys know how it went... [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
            Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Sorry, you can get the link by clicking on the pic and checking properties.. figured everyone had that down after Word lost his V220. It's here..

http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net/Home.html

These are pretty common, I've seen them for 200 w/ case... no higher than 250.00 IMO.. check eBay, but usually the models/description isn't correct so you have to look. It's similar to a Fusion Special as well.. just add two frets.

here's a guy I bought from before, his descriptions can be a little off, if not a little glorified.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7&category=621

You got that 475? I almost bid that out at the last second..I see you did too. It's a great price, thats a nice axe. I've seen the 475 deluxe exotic go for 300+.. those are really sharp Cherry-sunburst/flame top.

[ March 19, 2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Rodrigo, I'd stay away from that 275 for $270. It was the low end of the scale for Charvels back then, and you'll note in the picture from the catalog this guitar has the 'single-locking' trem, meaning you don't cut the ball ends off the string. These won't stay in tune as well as a 'real' double-lock floyd. That, coupled with it being hard to swap a normal humbucker in the bridge to upgrade the sound (it uses Charvel branded pickups from the Charvette Series) should be enough to convince you to pass on this and look for either the 375 or 475 (like Dave-o got) or the Model 2/3/4/5 Series made before these for that $270 amount.

Comment

Ok Dog,

Gonna try it out Saturday and make a final decision and maybe an offer of $200, depending on the actual state of the guitar.

Thanks for everything guys. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  Facebook - Youtube

Comment

OK.. someone tell me for sure. I have nearly the same guitar but has an angled area on the body where I circled the pic. It looks like Kuerbo's guitar except for that small difference on the body. Someone once told me it's a Fusion. Correct? Someone tell me for sure.

Comment

That Guitar is a Fusion Special, I like mine.

I have some cool ideas about rewiring/new pickups. Im gona put 2 diffrent types of single coils in the bridge. a vintage type and a hotter blues type and wire it so when the inbetween position of the 5 way it will make a humbucker with 2 dif type of coils... should be a cool sound even if the humbucking effect will be lesened.

Someone make a humbucker using the same idea and it sounds pretty cool to me.

[ April 30, 2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Hotrodder ]

Comment

What year(s) were they made? I don't have my guitar handy but is there a way to tell on the plate?
                        BTW.. I had a humbucker installed in place of the angled, bridge singles. It sounds killer now but I shouldn't have done that. It had to be routed and looks like it's been Frankesteined by EVH. I want to make it original again someday but it will cost more than it's worth. My bad.

[ April 30, 2003, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: catzodellamarina ]

Comment

Working...
                        X