Model series collecors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model series collecors?

How about a topic on the collectability of the model series Charvels? Seems like the San Dimas guitars get all the attention just because they are US made. I have a dozen or so "model" series guitars and I've sold the only two San Dimas ones I had just because I was offered a lot of money for them. I sold one '85 SD and bought three mint jap models with the money. In my opinion the MIJ models are more consistent in quality and to me they play better if they are set up right. Are they just great players or will they ever become collectable??
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: Model series collecors?

I don't know about collectability of them but they sure are great players. I have four of them that I replaced the pickups w/Duncan and Di Marzios, and the trems to original Floyds...best guitars for the money, I love feel of the bolt on necks
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I had an '87 black cherry Model 6, traded it for a black cherry '88 Model 5A, since I like the setup of the one volume/one pup better. The necks were exactly the same profile, feel exactly the same. They're awesome!! Though, I've heard that the necks sometimes varied and were a little thicker and rounder at times than the thinner ones on mine.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

a dozen "model's" ? I AM jealous [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I have only one... an '87 Model 6... would love to add a Model 5... maybe someday... (I prefer the neck-through's, obviously...)

I'm not so concerned with it's "collectability", since I never plan on getting rid of it, and the model series are a great bargain IMO - considering the workmanship that goes into one... neck-through, active pup's, fret board binding, etc... I'm not much for "collectable" guitars anyway, I want "players", and the model series definitely are that.....

Comment

I have 3 of the model series. 2 of them are Model 6's and one, I think is a Model 4-A since it has the sharktooth inlays, not the dots. Please correct me if I'm wrong! They are definately great guitars and I'm guessing they are getting more and more collectable as the years go by. mm2002 do you have a pic of your collection of your model series?
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I love the neckthru Model series guitars, but in no way will any Model series guitar ever become collectable. Of course collectibility depends on the definition.........So, I'll just say, they aint no '58 Flying V.................

Comment

I will not try to start a bad reply, but why will the Model series not be "collectable" in the years to follow? They are truly great guitars! My Model 6 is a great player and I am sure that many other feel the same way! Collectable,maybe...maybe not..but my other guitarist had an old V and I was not that impressed! Is it just because it is old? Does that make it worth something?

Comment

There were only about 60 1958 Flying Vs made. There are 6 billion people on this planet. If only 0.1% of the population wants one, calculate the excess demand, and you see why these guitars sell for over $50,000US. Also, there are no substituts for a 58 V. You cant buy a 79 V that is like the '58. The Model series were made in great numbers, and can be found in pawn shops all over the world......And there are direct substitutes available from other companies sitting in every pawnshop as well........

Comment

I don't believe he's referring to the '58 vint when he says "old V"

As far as collectablilty.. I think MIJ guitars will be of a more desired caliber than say the Korean models of other manufacturers. Altho Korea is beginning to get with the program, the *overall* quality still isn't as consistant as Japan was in the 70-80-early 90's or today for that matter IMO, but you do get good guitars coming out of Korea, don't get me wrong on that. Now you got Dillion making Viet guitars, which I haven't played but they *look* good.

So even tho mass produced, as the years go by, IMO these guitars should get a decent price, maybe not equaling retail list, but overall should exceed what Korean models are getting and what Korean resale is getting. Why? because they play great, sound great and with some mods or upgrades, really become a staple in the enlighted players stable. The days of snaggin a model 5 from a pawn shop or the rare person unaware of it's potential value for a 100.00 are becoming very scarce, not like they were abundant to begin with.
                  The question I think of is whether manufacturers would ever resurrect the model line and this may sound like an ignorant question.. but if Fender bought rights to Jackson, do they own rights to the Charvel/Jackson's produced before Charvel became a separate entity? To me, they do own it, and think of how Gibson brought back the Kramer line, Fender may just do that here.

[ March 17, 2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy:
                    I don't believe he's referring to the '58 vint when he says "old V"

As far as collectablilty.. I think MIJ guitars will be of a more desired caliber than say the Korean models of other manufacturers. Altho Korea is beginning to get with the program, the *overall* quality still isn't as consistant as Japan was in the 70-80-early 90's or today for that matter IMO, but you do get good guitars coming out of Korea, don't get me wrong on that. Now you got Dillion making Viet guitars, which I haven't played but they *look* good.

So even tho mass produced, as the years go by, IMO these guitars should get a decent price, maybe not equaling retail list, but overall should exceed what Korean models are getting and what Korean resale is getting. Why? because they play great, sound great and with some mods or upgrades, really become a staple in the enlighted players stable. The days of snaggin a model 5 from a pawn shop or the rare person unaware of it's potential value for a 100.00 are becoming very scarce, not like they were abundant to begin with.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What's with all this Korean jazz? The Model Charvels were MIJ. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You must be thinking of the Charvettes and some post 90 Charvels.

And the deals are still out there.

Here's a MIJ [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Model 1 that went for $109 + $20 S/H
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2384

[ March 17, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Hotrodder ]

Comment

re-read the post, there's no confusion in my stating the quality of MIJ charvels to Korean guitars of other manufacturers and the comparison between the two. The dominant place of manufacturing for imports is in Korea nowdays.. is it not?

Of course.. I didn't state the obvious when mentioning MIJ, this is the Jackson/Charvel forum right? MIJ guitar quality isn't exclusive to MIJ Charvels as well IMO, which is why the comparison to the marketplace was made.

Nice 1A..but there's miles of difference between it and a model 5 of the same condition for 100.00.

[ March 17, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Are they just great players or will they ever become collectable??
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just players, IMO.

Most of the Model series axes are readily available thru Ebay, music stores, and pawn shops. There's plenty of supply to meet the current demand, and the market for these guitars most likely will remain that way for the forseeable future. A possible exception could be the Model 88 - try to find 'ribbon' mahog these days. Go ahead and try.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm not sure if these are classified as 'Model' series guitars but another possibility would be the 750XL's. These were expensive when new - $1300ish street. The distributed base is most likely smaller as a result.
                        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Nice Sig Nor.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I like that...

I think *model* Charvels are just that, it doesn't exceed into toothpastes, but the two groups could be easily merged as they spinoff one another.
                          The 750's being the Professional series are kinda in a class of themselves IMO, but can be easily and often are associated to the 6 or a 5.

I paid around 550.00 for my 750XL string thru new w/ case in '92-'93.. sat in the store for around a year or so.

[ March 17, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

i've got 2 model 3b and 1 model 4b and they play and feel like my 86 custom shop bass and they have the same electronics. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

A few of my CHILDREN...

[ March 17, 2003, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Doc Dryer ]

Comment

Working...
                              X