No announcement yet.

Need help with recording hardware......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with recording hardware......

I'm going to upgrade the soundcard in my recording PC, and I need some advice on what hardware to get. Are the PCI card interfaces better than the USB or Firewire? I've been eyeballing the M-Audio 1010 with the rackmount unit, but like a lot of the others it is PCI. What are the advantages or disadvantages of PCI vs. USB vs. Firewire?? One thing to consider is my recording PC is a 1U rack mount, and only has one PCI slot (which the current card is in). It does have USB on board, but no firewire. I'm assuming if firewire is the way to go I'd use that one slot for a firewire card? Thanks in advance for any help!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: Need help with recording hardware......

It really comes down to flexibility.

Some people (like me) don't want to have a break-out box sitting on top of their desk. So I have an Emu PCI card with all the ins and outs behind the PC. The firewire / USB interfaces are also great for portable recording on a laptop.

USB vs. Firewire is not really an issue, assuming that you have a true USB 2.0 High-Speed interface... Although I think most high end interfaces tend to be Firewire over USB.

-a

Comment

Recommendations in the DAW world (digital audio workstation) is a very difficult task due to the differences in the computers and peripherals. Compatibility is critical - one glitch anywhere in the chain and your audio is damaged.

Firewire is still the most used bus/protocol in the audio domain. It puts less strain on the cpu compared to USB and the transfer protocol are solid and proven (if used correctly).

PCI solutions are ok and the 1010 seems like a good choice. A lot of guys are using it with no problems. You might wanna check out www.motu.com as well. Very respected products.

If you're going the Firewire route, pay attention to compatibility issues with the PCI card you are buying, and the Firewire audio interface you'll be using. It is so critical, that i'd recommend buying both items from the same dealer and make him promise you, that you can return it if you have problems. Lots of people out there are having audio glitches in their recordings due to incompatible hardware WinXP/PCI/Firewire controllers.

Just to let you know where i'm coming from, i'm running a mobile recording studio with a Firewire equipped laptop, an M-Audio 1814 Firewire standalone interface and a couple of ADAT capable preamps to have 16 mic inputs available simultaneously. It runs flawlessly with Pro Tools.

How many mic inputs do you need simultaneously, typically?
      That's the first thing to consider when buying recording gear.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Great info guys! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        As far as the inputs, of course when it's just me noodling around two is plenty, cause I'll be layering everything anyway. I have done (will do more) demos for a few local bands, and it would be nice to have more inputs, especially for drums, etc. I have an Alesis 12R mixer in the rack, and up until now I ran the L & R line-outs from the mixer to the line-in on the sound card, and ran all the mics/line-ins into the mixer. Running 4 or 5 drum mics into a stereo pair makes it hard to get any "good live" drum sounds. Not to mention, it would be nice to let the guitarist at least lay down an editable track along with the drums, without it being stuck in the mix.
        You mentioned PC compatibility. The PC isn't terribly old, and it has a PIV 2.8ghz processor and a gig of DDR. It was high quality stuff when I bought it maybe two years ago. Again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

mark, i'm off to bed now (past 2 in the night here). i might drop a note later. About compatibility, it's the PCI Firewire controller card that is critical. I'd go for a Texas Instruments chipset if possible.
          What sound program are you using?
          Later! (tomorrow)....
          Henrik

Comment

Thanks Henrik. I'm using cakewalk.

Comment

My band uses the Delta 1010, in the studio, with zero problems. I HAVE heard people speak unkindly of USB interfaces, early on, but by this point, they might've gotten those issues taken care of. Here are some links to forums that might help you in the right direction:

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/foru...436c&board=2.0

http://homerecording.com/bbs/index.p...0d87bed6aee6b&

I used to frequent the first one, alot, and it helped answer alot of questions for me. Hope it does the same for you.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I have done (will do more) demos for a few local bands, and it would be nice to have more inputs, especially for drums, etc. I have an Alesis 12R mixer in the rack

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, i would go for a multitrack recording setup. You already have 8 mic pre's in the Alesis, so buying an M-Audio 1814 (8 line-in + ADAT) and a Behringer ADA8000 (8 mic pre + ADAT) you'll have a true 16 mic track digital recording setup. You can do full rock band live recordings or put 12 mics on the drumkit in the studio and still have inputs available to cue guitar or stuff. Hit it! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Sorry, i got carried away [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                Henrik

Comment

dont mean to hijack the thread or anything but it seems appropriate, im looking to get just a basic recording setup going on so i can record my bands jam sessions. im looking at getting a phonic A60 (i think its called) mixer that has a direct USB into the computer. its four channels and thats about all ill be needing to get what i want out of it. ive got a relatively new (5 months old) mac powerbook G4 to run it into. anyone got any tips for beginner recording? or other product suggestions......the ones in previous threads that i checked out seem to be out of my price range.

the info and the links above have already been helpful, so thanks.

Comment

Again, here are som elinks to move you in the irght direction:

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/foru...436c&board=2.0

http://homerecording.com/bbs/index.p...0d87bed6aee6b&
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Again, I thank you all for helping me reach a decision. I just ordered a M Audio Delta 1010 rack mount. It was actually my first choice, but I don't think I knew exactly why until now. Thanks bros! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

dude, I think you are gonna love your new purchase. Side note: If you ever need more simultaneous recording tracks, you CAN buy another Delta 1010, and run them, together. I think you can run up to 4 units, at a time. Just thought I'd throw that out to ya.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Yeah, I think it'll be the shit. According to my 12R manual, I can use TRS inserts from the ins/outs of the 1010 rack unit directly into the mixer and have 8 mic pre's directly to the PC. And yes, I'm already looking at getting another one!

Comment

Working...
                          X