Strange buzzing from 10-14 fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange buzzing from 10-14 fret

Hello all, got a pretty serious situation with an old Charvel I picked up at a pawn shop. After replacing the original truss rod which was shot, with a new one and re-gluing the fretboard back on; which I tried to follow a good tutorial to the letter BTW, the low E, A, & D from the 10-14th fret have this fuzzy,dead, buzz sound when you open string hammer a note. If played just open or fretted the note sounds okay though, could those frets have somehow loosened up from the heating process when I removed the neck using the steam iron method and may lifted a little bit. Any info would be most welcome,

Thanks

Re: Strange buzzing from 10-14 fret

To find out if those frets have lifted, adjust the neck so it's dead straight (using a notched straightedge if possible) and then check the frets with a fret rocker. It's a piece of thin metal that you place over 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 frets at a time and then try to "rock" it. That way you can pinpoint high frets.

Sully might know if the heat process could have lifted the frets. He's very knowledgable in this area - (and just about every other technical areas in guitar fixing).
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks man I'll give it a try. I did all I could to make sure all previous glue residue was removed from the fretboard and neck and very lightly sanded with 400 grit just enough to get everything clean. The neck was aligned correctly when I clamped it down. Only thing I didn't do was re-steam the fretboard and straighten it out as it had a small twist in it before I re-attached it. I kind of ignorantly assumed it got that way from the necks minor twist, not really enough to affect action or anything and would right conform itself to the neck as it would be clamped anyhow, yeah I know, big duh on that plan. Yeah I'm not a perfectionist obviously but I certainly wanted it as close to perfect as I could make it. Prior to the whole truss R &R the issue was the neck upbowed and caused buzzing from the 4-5 fret. Ironically the truss rod works great and the old problem is alleviated, now its 10 frets down same problem. The buzzing is so weird in that say you do a Gary Moore style open note hammer flurry it's sounds ghastly tinny and dead. Hit the single note fretted or hit the string open and it sounds fine. Geeze what the hell did I do wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        it had a small twist in it before I re-attached it. I kind of ignorantly assumed it got that way from the necks minor twist

[/ QUOTE ]

that's most likely your issue. you've probably got an area with uneven frets. you can probably dress the frets around the issue.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sure the twist on the fretboard was caused to some degree by the neck but saturating it with steam when removing and not immediately clamping it to restraighten it
          before it cooled just magnified the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X