Fret Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret Polishing

I have a guitar where the frets are in good shape but they're extremely dull and starting to oxidize. Is there anything I can do myself to polish them up and not harm the fretboard?

Re: Fret Polishing

Yes, all you need is some real fine steel wool(Like 0000). It will polish them up real nice. I use painters masking tape(blue) to protect the fretboard and it peels off real easy. Be sure to cover you pickups also, because the magnets will attract the steel wool particles. That's it, real easy.

Comment

That's good advice. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'll either use the steel wool, or Mother's Mag Polish..the stuff you use for shining up the chrome Cragar mags on a '73 HemiCuda. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      You can just wipe it on and wipe it off, without a lot of rubbing and buffing. It gives a brilliant shine, and the frets feel really slick.
      Plus you'll have some leftover to polish your car.

Comment

Lemon oil and a toothbrush.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hmmm.... 3 totally different ideas.

Toe, I tried your suggestion and it didn't work too well.

Sub, will that polish remove the oxidation?

Comment

Not much to add here. I'm using 0000 steel wool and some kind of polish afterwards, like Mother's Mag Polish as mentioned. Remember to protect the fretboard with tape on each side of the fret. Steel wool rubbed against the wood grains is a bad combo. Same goes for a lacquered fret board.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

My Dunlop "guitar care" kit came with 500 grid sandpaper to polish the frets.

I've always just used Brasso (or equivelent) metal polish and a rag.

-a

Comment

Yeah, the Dunlop paper is ok if you're in a hurry

Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Lemon oil and a toothbrush.

[/ QUOTE ] No wonder my teeth are yellow. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Oh!!! I thought you said fett polishing. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

got a hand buffer? you can get one @ the depot for about $20. highly recommended and i use it for a lotta stuff.

tape the board off and hit it with some fine cut rubbing compound. then wipe the mess off, then hit it again with a dry terry bonnet. welcome to liquid chromeville, population: you.
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      got a hand buffer? you can get one @ the depot for about $20. highly recommended and i use it for a lotta stuff.

tape the board off and hit it with some fine cut rubbing compound. then wipe the mess off, then hit it again with a dry terry bonnet. welcome to liquid chromeville, population: you.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

It's the way to go. I've also used a dremel with a mini buffing wheel.
                      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

0000 steel wool works great.If the finger board is rosewood or lacqured maple tape the board off.Tape off the pickups too.If the board is ebony steel wool wont hurt it just don't press too hard.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          .If the board is ebony steel wool wont hurt it just don't press too hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

and make sure you go with the grain of the wood.
                          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I use a small 6" orbital buffer with a wax type polish... they come out like a mirror! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to have a go at it tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X