Change plastic nut to locking nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change plastic nut to locking nut

Looking to buy a cheap neck for a project, I found one that has a plastic nut. I want to put a floyd on the body and a locking nut on the neck. Is it just a matter of removing the plastic nut, then putting the locking nut on there? More than likely there will be some wood that needs to be removed right?

Thanks

Re: Change plastic nut to locking nut

you'll have to have a platform created for the floyd nut.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

what if its anon-angled headstock ala strat? Curious for myself here.. not trying to hijack a thread :P

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        what if its anon-angled headstock ala strat? Curious for myself here.. not trying to hijack a thread :P

[/ QUOTE ]
        No problem. The Floyd locking nut kit comes with a string "tree" bar to keep your strings down. The string tree bar is mounted 1/2" to 5/8" from the nut surface towards the tuners. The kits will mount "Surface" or the old style bolt thru.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have a project guitar I want to adapt to a Floyd nut to too. i hope someone with some experience doing this will share their knowledge. If not I would suggest you get a neck with a floyd nut and take some measurements. I think there would be a fair bit of wood to remove and I'm not sure the best way to do that.

Comment

The best way is using a table router, that's the way I do it. Also on sone necks there will not be enough wood behind the nut for a platform so you may have to add some more wood before cuting the platform. I will try to post picks later.

Comment

Here's some good info on installing a Floyd nut on a Strat style neck.

Floyd nut modification

Comment

Funny you should ask about this, as I am about to use the routing jig I made, using plexi, this weekend, to cut the shelf, using my Dremel. My jig has several components:

1- The main body, which almost looks like a square pingpong paddle, with a square hole routed into it. This is where the shelf will be cut from. It actually has a relief groove routed into it, to allow it to sit OVEr the 1st fret, without inerference.

2- A set of 1/4-20 bolts, that screw through the "paddle", at the headstock. These are accompanied by a smaller piece of the same plexi, which has two blind holes in it, for each bolt, and serve to level the entire jig assembly, off the headstock, without marring the headstock's finish. With this setup, I only have to remove 1 of the machine heads.

3- A J-bolt assembly, with rubber padding, that clamps the "paddle" down to the neck, without marring the neck finish. The J-assembly fits between the 1st and 2nd frets, on top of the "paddle".

As I didn't have the neck with me, at work, when I made this jig, I had to do alot of measuring and trial fitting, but it has come together quite nicely. The only issue I see is a slight wiggle, since the "paddle" surface is flat and the neck, of course, has a radius. I am going to see if adding 2 strips of thin rubber to the edges of the "paddle" help make up for the slight gap in those areas, as well as supply slip-resistance. For the jig to shift during routing would be devastating. However, this is just a minor hurdle.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Quick update: Routed the nut shelf last night, and it came out BEAUTIFULLY. Hard to believe a hamfisted monkey like myself actually pulled it off. Drilled the holes for the mounting bolts, but don't have a bit to countersink the heads, so that'll have to wait till Monday, when I take it with me, to work, and put it on the drill press, where I can better control the process.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

That's cool dude! I think I'm gonna just get one already routed, I'm not as confident in my ham-fisted control [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I wasn't either, but I figured I wouldn't let my own uncertainty immobilize me. I can be my own worst enemy, when I'm impatient. So, just take your time, and measure-measure-measure.
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                      X