Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring a Model 6

Hi there guys!!

I'm new here. I wanted an opinion about my Model 6. I've had this guitar for about 15 years. I believe its a 87 or 88. Its red crackle paintjob. The problem is when I was a 16 year old douche bag I dropped this guitar and damaged the crap out of it. Its since been repaired and is very playable and sounds as good it was when new. But its got some nasty paint chips and cracks on what used to be an awesome paint job. I was considering having it refinished and adding OFR with a new locking nut.

Any suggestions, comments would be welcomed.

Thanks!!

Re: Restoring a Model 6

Well I don't have a digital camera, but I can describe the damage.

When the guitar fell the fret board popped off (quite cleanly) down at the lower fretts. Its been re-glued and there is a 1/8" wide crack in paralell to where the fretboard separated from the neck. The other places are the chips where where the body hit the ground. They're just chips. There's one at the bottom where the jack is and one by the rear strap peg.

Comment

WOW, I hope that just SOUNDS worse than it is. An 1/8th of an inch is a pretty big crack. I guess as long as it plays good for ya, fix it up if you want to. Are you thinking of having the crackle paint redone? I would think that's going to be a chunk of change. Why would you need a new locknut? Is that damaged too? I wouldn't see why you'd need a new one unless it's giving you a problem. As far as the paint is concerned, I'd look around online at some guitar paint shops (like GMW)and decide whether you want to fork over the money for a paint job like that. If you have any other ?'s, just ask!
      Dave [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ March 13, 2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

You may spend more painting it and fixing it than it would cost to buy a minty replacement.....

I bought a mint 650 for $400 and I've seen Model 6's go for even less. Quite a steal IMO

Comment

Hey there and welcome!
          I have the same exact guitar as you and they are great aren't they? As far as getting it refinished, I guess it depends on how much you like the guitar and how much it would cost(depending on what you get done to it!). What sort of damage does it have? Maybe you could post a few pics of it and share it with the rest of the class?
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Vlad

If the serial number starts with a 6 its an 86, 7 its an 87, 8 its an 88,

Dont work on it until you post pics. Lots of good advice on the board here.

You can replace the guitar cheaper than a repair, so unless you love it.... think that over.

Kevin
            It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Thanks alot for all your advice guys!

I just took some pics of the damage. I don't have a digital camera, so it will be a couple of days until I have the pics developed.

I will post them asap.

Comment

Working...
              X