X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalloping

Anyone ever scallop a fretboard? [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Scalloping

Yeah, its really easy to do it yourself too. All you really need is a spoon, a power drill and a few beers.

Comment

Anyone ever used the search function?
      Yeah, Some of us have done it. There's a few good threads, try the search.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

geez, you've become a pissy old bastard in your old age. Can we call you Ron Jr? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

you still smarting from that can of whoopass Chris was about to open up on you? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

geez, you've become a pissy old bastard in your old age. Can we call you Ron Jr? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

you still smarting from that can of whoopass Chris was about to open up on you? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          Yeah..... my butt still hurts..... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Look at this thread for an example of how NOT to do it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            http://www.guitar.com/discuss/readms...kup#MSG4448303

This mistake is also known as

Comment

Its very difficult. Even with the correct tools. You can... get a pretty good result scalloping a neck that has already been fretted though. I have done plenty of them.

Comment

Scalloping

Why are you scalloping the neck?

Some people think it makes you play faster because Yngwie uses them, they are only good if you want to do a lot of string bending and Jumbo frets are good enough for that for most people.

Having said that you can scallop the neck with a piece of dowel and sandpaper.

The Ritchie Blackmore guitar had a different type of scallop the scallop is shallower on the low E side and up closer to the headstock, thus making chording more "normal", so to speak. The scallop is deeper near the high E side of the fretboard, and progressively up toward the body of the guitar.

s

Comment

I just call Warmoth and place an order! They do an excellent job on the CNC machine. The guy's at dccustomguitars.com do a good job by hand, I must say. I've got several Warmoth scalloped necks. I actually like those better than my YJM Strat.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
                    I actually like those better than my YJM Strat.
                    Because they are shallower?
                    Is your YJM american made?

The japan made Custom Edition YJM necks has shallower scallops compared to the USA one. I've heard that the USA scallops are pretty deep.

My japan made YJM:

Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                      Because they are shallower?
                      Is your YJM american made?

The japan made Custom Edition YJM necks has shallower scallops compared to the USA one. I've heard that the USA scallops are pretty deep.

My japan made YJM:

My YJM is American made. I don't know about the ones made in Japan. The depth of the scallop makes no difference to me as long as my fingers do not touch the fretboard. I like the Warmoth because of the compound radius and better width below the 12th fret. It's a lot easier to play than the Fender 7-1/4" radius for me.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

si

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49695
                        www.WarCurse.com

Comment

OB, thank you very much for the link. That looks like very nice work! I think i'll save that thread.
                          I totally missed it because i recently took a break from this board.

I can't sleep at nights now - i'm thinking of all the threads i've missed on the JCF!
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                          X