What pickups for maple fretboard guitar? H/S/S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups for maple fretboard guitar? H/S/S

What pickups for maple fretboard guitar? Also curious what you guys use for volume pot value because 500k recommended for HB's and 250K's for singles?

Re: What pickups for maple fretboard guitar? H/S/S

well...
    1. what shape is the body?
    2. what wood is the body?
    3. what type of tones are you looking to get?
    4. do you play more with a band or by yourself?
    5. what amp(s) do you use?

answer all these and you will get more responses.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Re: What pickups for maple fretboard guitar? H/S/

[ QUOTE ]
      What pickups for maple fretboard guitar? Also curious what you guys use for volume pot value because 500k recommended for HB's and 250K's for singles?

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, you just chose the single component after string and pick gauge that is the LEAST responsible for the way the guitar sounds [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As has been stated: Neck and body woods and shape, scale length, bridge type, playing style, other equipment, target tone?

Comment

I respectfully disagree that pickups have a minimal effect on tone. Not to mention, what else is there to change on a guitar other than strings unless I wanted to change necks etc..? but my intent is to get then best out of what I have.

The body is alder strat shaped, floyd trem, hard rock. Modded Marshall type amp. Plugged straigt in. Playing lound wanting good crunhy character without being too harsh or getting lost in the mix. I am also concerned about the potentiometer value because as stated before most HB's like 500K' and Singles like 250K.

Thanks

Comment

I don't agree that pot values are insignificant to tone either. A higher value pot will generally give you less treble cut and more output from the pickup (a louder, brighter tone).

Singles are said to work best with 250k because that's what Fender used them with in their original design. The same is true for humbuckers, since Gibson typically used 500k pots in their guitars.

If you use a too high value pot, you may experience that the pot becomes more like a switch - no volume at '0', then half volume all at once as you get to '1'. Use a too low value pot, and you will not get full output from the pickup.

If it was me, I'd put 500k pots in it and see how it would turn out. If you're not satisfied, you can always put other pots in there later.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Gibson typically used 500k pots in their guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Doesn't Gibson use 300k?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I always thought they used 500k pots (I read that in some guitar mag ages ago), but I'm not quite up to scratch on my Gibson knowledge, so I may be off on on that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  If you use a too high value pot, you may experience that the pot becomes more like a switch - no volume at '0', then half volume all at once as you get to '1'. Use a too low value pot, and you will not get full output from the pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm ... I was not aware that pot value had anything to do with the pot taper. What you are describing sounds like the difference between a "linear" taper and "audio" taper pot.

-a

Comment

Hey the guy asked for pickup suggestions!

and forget the Volume Pots-turn it up to 11 and it don't matter 300K or 500K or audio/linear taper

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      Gibson typically used 500k pots in their guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Doesn't Gibson use 300k?

[/ QUOTE ]
                      300K volumes, 500K tones, I believe. The original LP's (1950s) were all 500K.

Alder body, hard rock, through a Marshall, I'd say a JB pickup is perfect. I've read a JB is designed brighter so that it can work with 250K pots in an H-S-S configuration, without getting loaded down. When most complain about the JB being too trebly, it's probably because they are using a 500K pot.

edit: I have an HB102B (Duncan Designed JB) in my DK2 (Alder body, but it's a rosewood FB), and I think it sounds awesome despite everyone on this board bashing it. Listen to Accept's "Restless and Wild" - that's the tone I'm getting. I think it works good for Maiden as well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        and forget the Volume Pots-turn it up to 11 and it don't matter 300K or 500K or audio/linear taper

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. When a volume pot is turned to 10 there is resistance to ground equal to the value of the pot. With a 300K pot there will be 300K resistance to ground. With a 500K pot there will be 500K resistance to ground. The more resistance to ground the brighter the sound.

Comment

dude, don't worry about pot values and whatnot.

if you want a high quality pot just get a "super pot" from www.rsguitarworks.com

what are some guitar tones that you would like to sound similar to?

with the JB you'll be closer to Warren D. Martini territory... or megadeth. (and many many others)

the duncan distortion will head you in an Ozzy/metallica/dokken direction (early years)

EMG 81 will get you the later years Metallica/Ozzy sounds.

the duncan Custom will give you more of a scooped modern sound while the Custom Custom will give you a hotter, creamier, more vintage, yet still modern, sound with lots of mids and highs and a smooth low end. (and sounds great in Maple necked guitars.) and the Custom 5 will give you even more scoop than the custom if you want that extreme scooped sound.

the dimarzio super distortion will give you early maiden, judas priest, scorpions, ufo, and all your early metal tones.

i say get the custom custom or JB.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Chad, you are right. I forgot about that. Thanks for not insulting my stupidity

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I respectfully disagree that pickups have a minimal effect on tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to clear things up...Zerb ment the fretboard wood playing a small role in the tone, not the pickup. (which he is right about). the pickup choice plays one of the largest roles.

as for what to use...duncan custom custom and 500k pots would be a nice well rounded choice. if you want real good cut and some bite to the sound a JB will work too since it has more edge than a custom custom.

-Mike
                              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X