Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite bass for METAL, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite bass for METAL, and why?

I want your opinions on what is the best bass for playing METAL and why. Did you pick it because of the tone, woods, pickups, controls, preamps, playability, or what???

Thanks in advance for taking the time to post!!

Re: What is your favorite bass for METAL, and why?

my kramer amercian forum bass. i picked it because of the playability and looks. EMG p+j pickups helped too, as did the active eq. it looks sharp, has a variety of tones and is well built.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

My favorite tone wood combination is Maple neck, ebony fretboard, and either Mahogany, Koa, Alder, or Maple for the body. I used to prefer Seymour Duncans (and still like them) but lately I found Dimarzios have an easily "exploitable" tone that distorts nicely for metal. The tone can be just an edge of distortion like Dan Lilker or full on like Lemmy from Motorhead.

Last edited by thor; 09-25-2006, 10:29 PM.

Comment

MTD 5-string...picked it for tone and playability. Very light and well balanced. Loaded with Bartollini's. I'd love to see a production Jackson USA Concert Bass comback again....someday maybe.

Harrison

Comment

Tone wise, I would have to say the best metal bass I've ever played was a 5-string '94 Warwick Fortress One. It had been fitted with EMG pickups and the BQS System. The woods (maple and wenge) combined with the electronics seemed to work great for very easily getting that midrange growl often needed to break through the barrier of heavily distorted guitars.

I regret selling that bass on regular intervals. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Nothing beats a G & L 2000..NOTHING!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The hottest, coolest pups on the planet..you want GROWL..it's all about GROWL and TONE!!

I owned Alembec/Kubicki/Ken Smith/Pedulla/Zons/Ricks/Warwicks/P and J & Sting Rays basses..NOTHING comes close to the G & L..in sound feel and performance..in my awesome opinion!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

that's almost 30 years of bass playing experience..and I rule! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Guild SB-666. It the signature model for Satan himself. What could be more metal than that.............

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Nothing beats a G & L 2000..NOTHING!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The hottest, coolest pups on the planet..you want GROWL..it's all about GROWL and TONE!!

I owned Alembec/Kubicki/Ken Smith/Pedulla/Zons/Ricks/Warwicks/P and J & Sting Rays basses..NOTHING comes close to the G & L..in sound feel and performance..in my awesome opinion!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

that's almost 30 years of bass playing experience..and I rule! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                Well, this puts my limited exposure to basses to shame. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                I'm a Fender Precision and Jazz bass old school player. I like all the wood combinations. I recently aquired a new Samick Fairlane 6 string that kicks ass!
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, Sir, if you would step this way, this isn't the Harmony Central gear review section... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, Sir, if you would step this way, this isn't the Harmony Central gear review section... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh........Bill does rule [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Uh........Bill does rule [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no doubt about that whatsoever. Just trying to make a lame joke... I'll get me coat.

Comment

Guys, I truly appreciate the info.....lpease keep it coming!!!

Comment

Bass for Metal?

P- bass with a Emg
                          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I rule! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Oh yeah...G&L!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill is awsome [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

but can you really play metal? just pure metal Bill, without the urge to funk-slap and jazz-tap and dickslap the shit out of your bass?
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X