Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone never have a fret level done? or repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone never have a fret level done? or repair?

ok heres a question, i see this subject come up once in awile, bout having frets level, or replaced etc. and low frets...etc etc... my question is does anyone have a guitar thats at least 10 years old and has never had a fret job or repair done do there guitar?? and the guitar still plays great as the first day you got it?

My jackson DK2 is from 98, but i have no probs with the buzzing or anything, but someone said after 6-8 years i should have the frets repaired, i have never had to have my frets repairded for as long as i have been playing guitar.

is fret repiar something that should be done every so many years or something that only if a prob comes up??

thanks

Re: anyone never have a fret level done? or repair?

If it isn't broke don't fix it.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Re: anyone never have a fret level done? or repair

I only have mine done when they need it. It's not the age but the miles [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] All mine that are more then 10 years have needed it at least once with a fret getting replaced here and there. My main player has had it a few times with a few frets replaced. Mine typically have a lot of wear only in the first 7 frets or so. When the rest need to be brought down to match I have my tech replace the low fret(s) instead and bring just it down to match so I've been able to avoid a complete refret so far.

Comment

Take a look at your first 7 frets and look at the wear under the wound strings. That is where you will the most usage.

If when playing in this area you get buzzing, it might be because these frets are lower than other frets down the neck. The string is buzzing because it's hitting the tops of those higher frets.

If your action is high, you won't notice it as much, but if you like your action really low, it could be a major pain not having fret all the same height.

Comment

i have my action mid range, and no buzzing any place on the fretboard.... so good news then and thanks for all the answers and tips...

if anyone else has anything to add please do...

thanks

Comment

If your frets are starting to get grooves worn into them at the cowboy position, mask off the fret board wood with cloth tape and burnish the worn frets with super fine steel wool. Use even pressured strokes down the fret. Go easy, so you don't end up with a couple of low frets.

Comment

Working...
            X