Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can someone compare the EMG 81/85/89?

I'm thinking of possibly swapping out the JB in my KE1 in favor of an EMG

I was thinking about the 85, but someone also recommended an 89.

I used to have an 81 in my kh2 so if anyone can describe the 85 and 89 compared to the 81 it'd help.

if anyone can explain these I'd appreciate it
    [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    -Chris

Re: can someone compare the EMG 81/85/89?

I don't have any personal experience w the 89.

The 81 has a rather flat sound that is easy to scoop the mids from. However, it is an extremely dead sounding pickup - it is sterile, flat and sounds IMO damn boring. On the plus side - the 81 is also extremely clean, with fantastic string separation. The 85 has more bass, mids and plenty more attitude. The discontinued 58 is a lot like the 85, but a little noisier, not quite as tight in the bottom freqs, and with a little more treble sparkle (awesome neck pickup in the right guitar).

Comment

I've never had the 81 but the 85 and 89 sound the same. The difference being the 89 also has the SA mode which is why I used them.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        The discontinued 58 is a lot like the 85, but a little noisier, not quite as tight in the bottom freqs, and with a little more treble sparkle (awesome neck pickup in the right guitar).

[/ QUOTE ]
        It's noisy because it's basically a P-90. They'll still make it for you, though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] And I prefer the warmer 85 in the bridge and something brighter like the 81 or 60 in the neck.
        The 89 I haven't tried yet myself, but it's basically an 85 and SA together, and my Custom Shop Rhoads will have one! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

and my Custom Shop Rhoads will have one! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]That's right Joe! Woohoo! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
            Yeah, baby!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] And the versatility of our one-hum axe will have people asking how we got great single coil tones out of a humbucker! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The 89 is my favorite with both H/s in one . The 85 and 89 sound alike in Humbucking mode the 81 is darker sounding to me. 89 is by far the most versatile.

Comment

I have 81s (the brighest, really clean), 85 and 89 EMGs on a few of my soloists. I am certain I like the 89 the most, both for the sound and versatility. It is a bit more organic, has more of a natural sound to my years.

Comment

The 89 sounds the same as an 85 because IT IS an 85, The only difference is the the coil tapping feature in the 89.
                  Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

I have a KE2 with the Zack set in it. After using the 81 in both the bridge and neck, I would have to say 81N 85B for me. But now hellraiser has me wanting an 89!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Yeah, baby!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] And the versatility of our one-hum axe will have people asking how we got great single coil tones out of a humbucker! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]Ooohhh Yeahhhhh! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Man, I'm losing patience already! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

81= Bright, crunchy and aggressive
                        85= warmer more balanced and fatter, not QUITE as tight in the bass but a good chunk more of it.
                        89= 85 with an SA singlecoil mode.

Personal preference: 89b/SA/SA or 85b/81n

Comment

I'm thinking of slapping a 60 in the neck of my RR1?? I hear it's a very clean sounding pickup?? I primarily use the neck pickup for my clean passages, through my clean channel!! Anybody use one??
                          I love admins!

Comment

A 60 is just a large a SA so just get a 89 and have a H&S under one cover.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              A 60 is just a large a SA so just get a 89 and have a H&S under one cover.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              No, it's not. An HA is humbucker-sized single coil (a large SA). And an H is a large S. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The 60 is a totally different beast, EMG's brightest humbucking pup. I've got one in my Dinky with an 85 in the bridge... it's awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X