What kind of strings for a Kahler??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of strings for a Kahler??

[img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] Just wanted to throw a question out there for all the Kahler standard flatmount users. What strings do you use and why? I've always used d'adario's and my new (new to me...) Kahler doesn't seem to like them. This is my first Kahler trem and the slotted string holders seem to pinch the wrapped string area that is wound around the ball, thus breaking them. Is there a better, more suitable string with a different type of anchor for these trems? I don't want to have to take a dremel to it and smooth the area over
    Thanks!

[ February 28, 2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Re: What kind of strings for a Kahler??

I use SIT made for Kahler..........

Comment

May I ask where you get them? I saw a few places online, anywhere particular?
      Thanks again!
      Dave ->

Comment

That's kinda strange. I have Kahler flatmounts on probably 10 of my guitars, and I've never had that problem. Been using them since 1984. I don't even use the same strings consistently. The only times I've broken a string at that location was when they were old. Do you use really heavy gauge strings?
        Dana <~~~

[ February 28, 2003, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: guitarforceone ]
        '85 Rhoads Custom
        '86 SD Str*t
        '86 Model 4 (5)
        '87 Model 1
        '87 Model 6
        '88 Model 3DR
        '90 650 XL
        '94 KE-3
        '97 DR Amberburst
        '97 Dinky BOFlames
        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Originally posted by guitarforceone:
          Do you use really heavy gauge strings?
          Dana <~~~
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually I use 10's and it's really only the treble "e" string. The string holder doesn't look defective in any way, at least not any different from the other 5. It looks like the ball of the string wants to sit on either the right or the left side of the string slot. I'm thinking it's the type of ball on the d'addario's. Who knows, maybe I got 2 bad set's of strings with "e" strings made on "friday"(if ya know what I mean). I must say though, I have 12 electrics, 9 of them have floyd type tremolo's and have never had a problem with strings breaking so quickly. I guess I'll just have to experiment and see what works.
          Thanks!
          Dave ->

Comment

Yeah, maybe you got some of those "Friday" strings. I use 9's myself, and as I said, I've never had the problem. I was thinking that maybe if you used really thick strings that the winding might be too thick back there at the holders, but that's obviously not what's going on. Hmmmm...well...maybe try some other brands or something? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            Dana &lt;~~~
            '85 Rhoads Custom
            '86 SD Str*t
            '86 Model 4 (5)
            '87 Model 1
            '87 Model 6
            '88 Model 3DR
            '90 650 XL
            '94 KE-3
            '97 DR Amberburst
            '97 Dinky BOFlames
            '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna try the "NO-BREAK" SIT brand strings as ACCEPT 2 suggested. They are actually made for Kahler trems so maybe there's a reason not to use regular strings. We'll see and thanks to both of you for the replies! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              Dave ->

Comment

I have used Ernie Ball Super Slinky's for years (9-42) never had any significant breakage problems... I have tried SIT's for Kahler - they actually do stay in tune remarkably well, though they're hard to find - for me anyway - all they do to make them "unbreakable" is put a piece of shrink tubing around the ball-end windings of the plain strings, where the string would rub against the cam - so I've been putting shrink tubing on my first and second string Slinky's - and haven't broke one since.

Kahler themselves recommend D'Addario EKXL's with soldered windings - I have not tried those though...

Also - since we're on the subject - the claw holding the 6th string on my Kahler recently snapped [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] leaving my Model 6 unplayable... ordered a replacement part online over 3 weeks ago... called this week to see what the hold up is, just got an answering machine... still waiting... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] needless to say, I am NOT a happy customer at the moment...

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the tips TommyJ37! I think I'll actually try those out. That sucks about your Mod 6. I have two of those and I love 'em. One with a JT6 and one with a Kahler. Where did you order your replacement parts?
                  Thanks again for the tips.... [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  Dave ->

Comment

Ordered straight from Kahler - www.kahlerinternational.com - they wrote back right away telling me what part I need and how much it would cost, but haven't heard from them since... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Another nice site you might want to check out is - www.members.iglou.com/ayres/Kahler_Instructions.htm - just kinda goes through the flat mount in great detail

Comment

Man I love this site!!
                      Thanks again Tommy! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                      X