5fx vs. model 4-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5fx vs. model 4-6

what do yall think of the model 5fx compared to the model 4, 5, and 6? i know 5fx's are neckthru so they prolly play better than model 4 and 5s. how does their sound compare to these? just wonderin what other people think of these cuz i never see anything about the 5fx's anywhere. never seen a site with any feedback on them

Re: 5fx vs. model 4-6

heya damaged, i think that the model 5s were neck thru also.

Comment

"Better" is a relative term.

I own a Model 6 (neckthrough) and a Model 2 (bolt on)
      I can't say that the M6 plays any better than the M2.

So is the M5 "better", I guess that depends.. it's worth more, but I don't think its a whole lot better.

I'd take a M4 with shark fins over a M5 just cause I like the look. It's why I own an M6 myself.

All the Model 5 versions are a good choice if you want a Soloist type guitar without the price.

Comment

Its all a matter of what you prefer. I only buy Model series from 1986, when they didnt have a 5fx, so they are irrelevant to me. Some people like 'em though..............

Comment

I love the 5A, too, Greg! I actually just downgraded from my Model 6 and traded it to Doc for a 5A, because I prefer the one hum/one volume deal. It has the same neck profile, feels exactly the same except for no binding or sharkfins. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I believe the 5FX came from some leftover 5A models that got sent back to the factory to get the single coil added in the neck, some also got added tone controls.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yep, Ft. Worth didn't like the 5A's. When 5A's came in from Japan to the warehouse in Ft. Worth, if they had time they modified them. They added the single coils and the pickup selector switch. Depending on their mood, they would sometimes hand route a trem recess and install a tone control. My 5fx has that handone trem recess. It really looked hand modified so I painted it gloss black in the recess.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know they routed some of the trems on those. I prefer the non-recess anyway.

Comment

Yeah, that's the best. Getting in half-finished guitars. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] We got in a shipment of the newer Model A's once that didn't have any pickups, so one of the guys had to spend a couple of days wiring up Duncan Live Wires.

Comment

I don't believe they were half finished. They modified finished 5As, and turned them into 5FXs by adding the neck s/c & toggle, and as Greg said, in some cases a tone knob and trem rout. Pete used to have 2, one with a tone and one without
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                    I don't believe they were half finished. They modified finished 5As, and turned them into 5FXs by adding the neck s/c & toggle, and as Greg said, in some cases a tone knob and trem rout. Pete used to have 2, one with a tone and one without
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Umm, BM didn't say half finished 5As... he said the Model A, which is new as of last year! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Want my glasses? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ February 26, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]

Comment

well, duh! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But he did make the connection between the Model 5As being modified in Ft Worth & Model As arriving at the Mothership sans-pickups [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

True. I did a double-take myself the first time I read it. I got all excited and figured they had some NOS 5As and wanted to know if I could score one, and then I realized he didn't put 5 in front of it! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] now wouldn't that be sweet? If they announced that, they'd be all snapped up by JCF members in a red hot minute!
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

I just love the Model 5A's with one hum and one volume knob, nothing else. I have 2 5A's and 1 5FX. The model 6's are the ultimates though, surprised I haven't been able to score one or two. I've sold off all my Japanese C/J's except for the neck-thru's and 750XL.

Comment

I have been thinking about any of the model series, but I really dont want to buy more guitars. . need. . to. . fight. urge. . g.a.s.

Comment

Working...
                              X