Acheiving a dull satin finish ala "Gothic"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acheiving a dull satin finish ala "Gothic"

I've have an idea for a very cool paint scheme and wanted to do it in a flat satin finish much like those found on the Gibson "Gothic" series guitars.

Does anyone know how this is done?
    I'd want it to be scratch resistant and durable, much like the factory finishes.

Any thoughts? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Acheiving a dull satin finish ala \"Gothic\"

spray flat or satin black, stop polishing before it becomes gloss.

BTW, Gibson Gothic finishes are FAR from scratch resistant. Not necessarily in a hardness sense, it´s more like they "magnify" the optical effect of one. And wherever your arm rests will become gloss after not even that long a peroid [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I guess I should have added that I'd like to use an acrylic urethane. NO KRYLON.

I'm currently using DuPont and buy it through a local supplier.
      They actually supply all of the local auto body shops in my area, so I doubt they'd have any sort of "satin" clear.
      I'm not even sure anybody even makes such a thing in an acrylic urethane. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I guess I could use the acrylic urethane clear and just wetsand it dull.

Does anyone know how the guitar manufactures do it?
      I've seen these finishes done by Gibson, Epiphone, ESP, Charvel, Jackson, even PRS.

And from what I've seen, it really doesn't look like a clearcoat sanded dull. It looks more like a specific type of finish.

Hmmmm .. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

You might check into PPG (Matthews) line of acrylic urethanes. I know they have a "satin clear", (MPC 178). They may also have modifiers for matte, flat, semi-gloss, gloss, etc. I do know they can set the flatness anyway you want it.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Awesome!
          Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

My LP Studio has a satin nitro lacquer. Though, like Tim mentioned, where ever your arm rests (even rubbing your hand on the back of the neck) will eventually get shiny over time.
            And I believe all of Gibson's finishes are nitro, BTW.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              spray flat or satin black, stop polishing before it becomes gloss.

BTW, Gibson Gothic finishes are FAR from scratch resistant. Not necessarily in a hardness sense, it´s more like they "magnify" the optical effect of one. And wherever your arm rests will become gloss after not even that long a peroid [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just SO true!!! That's exactly what happened with a Gothic Explorer a friend of mine owns!
              https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Yup. I had an Ibanez RG320, like that, and it was shiny where my arm rested, and below my picking hand.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                X