Fender HM Strat vs. Models 2, 3 & 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender HM Strat vs. Models 2, 3 & 4

Does anyone own (or has played) a Fender HM Strat, either MIA or MIJ? I was curious to how they compare to the Model series in terms of playability. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

They seem to be in the same class as far as price and features.

Re: Fender HM Strat vs. Models 2, 3 & 4

You can't go wrong either way. I owned a MIJ HM Strat that was a scorcher. Overall, it's probably better equipped than a bolt-on Charvel Model by having 24 frets and a DiMarzio bridge pickup. But on the negative side, the MIJ versions have a Kahler Spyder trem that is probably not as good as the JT-6 on the Model guitars.

Overall, I'd say that the Model 2-3 might be a better deal, since they seem to be selling for a bit less than HM Strats that are in decent shape. But I'd take either.

Comment

Oh, and as far as playability, the HM Strat is one of the best playing guitars I've ever owned, including much more expensive guitars. Too bad Fender doesn't reintroduce the HM Strat with the exact neck they had back then.

Comment

I've had both the USA and Japan HM Strat, as well as a Model 3 and 4. The USA HM was miles ahead of the others. The Japanesse one didnt play that well, and I always thought Fender made Fuji Gen Gakki build them that way so they wouldnt take any sales away from the US ones. As far as hardware goes, the Fender was better equiped, having a Made in USA Kahler Spyder, or Floyd, while the Charvels came with either a Kahler Traditional, or the Jackson JT6, which is one of the worst piece of Made in Taiwan crap ever made. Of course the Model 4 came with active boost, and the 86 version came with the Kahler Pro which rocks. Of course you can always swap out a JT6 for a Schaller Floyd which is better than the Spyder......I think it all boils down to what you like personally. Of those 4 guitars I have none of them left because I came to the conclusion that none of them could keep my interest, but since its down to personal feel, I just dont think they are really all that comparable. Kind of like trying to compare a pickup truck to an SUV............

Comment

I sold HM's new. Both MIA and MIJ. There are actually versions of both with Kahler Spyder's. The Floyd came out after the Floyd Rose/Fender deal of the early 90's and also appear on both MIA and MIJ versions (they co-existed for a while with a high end MIA version which doesn't look that much different). I personally never cared for the HM compared to a Jackson, but I would take an Ebony board (kind of rare) or a rosewood board MIA HM over an Ibanez.

[ February 25, 2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

I have played the HM strats from both sides, interesting Axe's I didn't purchase one though. I did however buy a Model 4 which I like better for my style. I'm not a die hard shreder more Blues based rock. I like the clean and overdriven preamp tones you can get IMHO

Later BB

Comment

JT6 ROOLS.. Kahler DROOLS !! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm sorry, I can't help it.. I LUV the JT6.. I'm starting a JT6 fanclub!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I must be a lunatic 'cause I prefer the JT6 over the OFR! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Actually, it because of the tuners..best layout I've ever seen.

Oh, and the USA HM Strat is pretty cool.

[ February 26, 2003, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

Its not the design of the JT6 that makes it so bad. They are actually quite neat. Its the fact that they are made so poorly with cheap metal in Taiwan......Kind of ruins any guitar they are placed on. Luckily though a switch of the spring block is all that is needed to switch to a Schaller Floyd...............

Comment

Actually, I guess I'm not sure whether my HM Strat was USA or Japan. I assumed it was MIJ because it had the Spyder bridge. But if that bridge was used on some instruments of both versions, I don't know. Did any of the USA guitars have the big white "Strat" logo, or were they all the later toned-down logo? Mine had the large script version. Either way, mine was a killer guitar and I wouldn't mind getting another someday.

Comment

I have 2 1992 HM Strats. You guys seem to forget that the 91/92 HM Strats came with Original Floyd Rose trems. The 88-90 models had the Kahler Flyer. Those 88-90 models are fairly easy to find but the 91/92's seem to be quite rare.

If you're looking at a 91/92 HM Strat, it is equiped better than a MIJ Charvel. The HM has 24 frets, OFR, DiMarzio hum and Gotoh tuners. I personally have no problem with the JT-6 Jackson trem. I actually like the JT-6 quite a bit after a threaded collar trem arm conversion.

As far as playability and craftsmanship, the Charvels are better. The Fenders are decent but need a good setup. I've never seen one that didn't have the locking nut mounted way too high. Also, the frets on the Fenders seem to be softer and wear more than the Charvels.

The prices on HM Strats seem to be going up, especially the 91/92 OFR models. If it was me, I'd just save a couple more bucks and buy a neck-thru [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] 87-88 Charvel Model 5A or 6.

Comment

hey, were any of the hm strats 22 fretters? i have what i thought was an hm neck on one of my sullys, but it's 22 fret. i got it from justin coffman, and when he got it, it was passed off as a charvel prepro neck...and badly, i might add. the head was white primered (and not covered completely!), and it had a correct logo, but placed wrong (WAY close to the ball end). now that i've straightened the neck out, it's great, but i'd like to know what it is.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Both versions had the big "Strat" logo. Floyd Rose equipped models often have the smaller Fender Strat "Digital" logo. The only way I can tell exactly were it was made is to look at the original pots and switch. USA ones had high quality CTS pots and TBX with the standard Oak/Grigsby metal/fiber selector switch. Imports have small cheap Japanese electronics and plastic encased switches. Both typically have a Dimarzio humbucker and American Standard Single coils.

There are many versions of these guitars. The rare ones are the one humbucker versions. The Floyd era ones are rare because they came out at a time when nobody wanted them, and they were over priced. Jobbers were trying to unload excess inventories to dealers as late as '95.

[ February 27, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Some of the ones from Japan did have 22 frets..........

Comment

Working...
                          X