Model 6 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 Help

I am currently in the process of restoring a Model 6 to its former greatness. I have a few questions regarding the trem. I have the original jt6, but it is pretty sad shape. I know that an OFR will fit without modification but I am missing the original trem studs. I would like to replace the studs without having to replace the body anchors, so my question is; where can I get replacement studs that will just thread into the original inserts? Another question I have involves replacing the original string locks. Currently the strings are locked behind the nut, I am missing pieces to the string lock also and would like to replace it with a Floyd rose locking nut. Is this possible and how difficult a job would it be? Thanks for all your help.

Re: Model 6 Help

From what I can tell an OFR's trem studs will not screw into the stock stud bushings. (different thread)

Your best bet would be to ask around here if someone has a set of trem studs.

As to the locking nut, You can retrofit a traditional Floyd locknut to replace the black phenolic nut, but that requires routing your fretboard which of course is irreversable.

Don't cut on a Model 6.. it'll hurt the future value. Stop chuckling San Dimas Snobs.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The Model series deserves far more respect than it gets.

I was faced with a similar situation and replaced my original "behind the nut" locking nut with a kahler style copy.

It fits just like the original, was 15 bucks and I don't have to cut up my axe.

Mine was made by guitar-tech, you can get em at mighty-mite, stew-mac, your local guitar tech.

[ February 24, 2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

This may be a dumb question but the studs you have from the JT6 won't work with the floyd rose trem? Aren't the pivot points the same? Just wondering........
      [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

axeman628,

What is actually missing from your locknut?

Both the metal clamp blocks and the screws can be replaced.

Your local guitar tech should have the parts.
        All the online guitar parts stores have the parts.

The JT6 studs *might* be hard to find but your local guitar tech can pull up your original stud inserts and replace the whole enchalada.

[ February 24, 2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

Thanks for the info. I didn't want to cut into my guitar and after reading your reply I'm not even considering it now. Anyway, does anybody have a pair of original studs and/or a "behind the nut" string lock from a charvel model 6 or similar charvel guitar from the same time period. I am willing to pay a fair price for either of these items. Thank you.

Comment

I found the parts I need for the lock nut. I am still lookinf for replacement studs as mine didn't show up with the guitar and the guy I bought it from cannot find them. As far as the studs go, the pivot points are the same as an OFR, but the thread on the studs is different from what I am told. I don't have floyd studs to try, so I am only going on what I have heard. Unless someone here knows of studs that would thread right into the original inserts I have two options.

a) find original studs
            or
            b) replace the inserts with new ones

Thanks for all the great info

[ February 26, 2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: axeman628 ]

Comment

Here I go again, one last time. If no one has original studs, will any other studs fit the inserts. What about floyd replacements, does anybody know for sure that the thread is different. If this doesn't work, could someone tell me or direct me to somewhere that would tell me what is involved in replacing the body anchors. I would like to do the work myself if at all possible. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X