String buzz on high E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String buzz on high E

Model 2 mutt. Gotoh Floyd. Here is the problem.
    Guitar is set up perfectly. Intonation is perfect. Guitar plays and sounds great. High E string has a buzz to it whether its fretted or not. The string is not touching any frets when this occurs. It is a perfectly consistant buzz no matter what fret is played. The string is also not touching any frets or the pickups when it is unfretted.
    Any ideas?
    There doesn't appear to be anything loose. I don't get it.

Re: String buzz on high E

Renew the string if you haven't tried that already. Some (even new) strings show this behaviour once in a while.

Is the buzz heard in the amp? If yes, you should troubleshoot the saddle(fretting point) on the bridge.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

A buzz like that is often a poor fit at the nut or bridge, a bad string could also do it.
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I had this same problem with my Soloist.
        I had a buzz on my High E string and I played around with the truss rod, action, etc etc.. and for the life of me couldn't find out what the problem was. Well it turned out that the back part of the saddle (the part that holds the string) was actually loose and when I played the E string it would actually vibrate and create the buzzing sound I was hearing. If you don't want to replace it, you could tighten it down all the way with the fine tuner if your bridge has one and it will stop vibrating.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I'll try all the suggestions and check back with the results tonight. Thanks guys.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Guitar is set up perfectly. Intonation is perfect. Guitar plays and sounds great. High E string has a buzz to it whether its fretted or not. The string is not touching any frets when this occurs. It is a perfectly consistant buzz no matter what fret is played. The string is also not touching any frets or the pickups when it is unfretted.
            Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is buzzing how is it perfect? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Check the bridge and make sure the little block that holds the string in place is not cracked. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is buzzing how is it perfect? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Check the bridge and make sure the little block that holds the string in place is not cracked. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Per the book... and accepted set up guidelines... this guitar is set up perfectly. The buzz coming from the high E string makes no sense although I suspect its a bad string. This guitar refuses to break strings no matter what I do to it. I play it everyday and since I have owned it.. it has never broken a string. I am gonna change the suspect string tonight. I am pretty sure thats the problem. I have been playing the same set of strings almost every day for the last 6 months on this guitar!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I have been playing the same set of strings almost every day for the last 6 months on this guitar!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought guitar players changed strings like they change underwear.

Oops, maybe you do!? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Henrik

Comment

I once had string buzz on an ESP kh2 so I sold it....

true fucking story too.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I took it to two shops (local shops suck ass) and neither one fixed it.

One shop just raised the action high as fuck, the buzz was gone but it played like shit).

The other shop fixed that but the buzz was still there

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    I have been playing the same set of strings almost every day for the last 6 months on this guitar!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought guitar players changed strings like they change underwear.

Oops, maybe you do!? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe guitar players with a few guitars. Dude, I have guitars stacked up like firewood. I would need to own a string company to restring all my guitars on a regular basis. I play them until they feel or sound nasty. Then I change them. The only guitars that get fresh strings are for recording a gigging. For home jamming I don't give a rats ass.

Comment

ummm John, not to butt in here, but you can damage the finishes stacking the guitars up like that. I have some extra hangers if you need some.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

john, fret the last fret on the high E. if you hear an a buzz, it's not a fret issue. it's something loose. see my most recent post in this section. in my case, there's a retaining wire on an old style ABR-1 TOM bridge that is rattling.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          john, fret the last fret on the high E. if you hear an a buzz, it's not a fret issue. it's something loose. see my most recent post in this section. in my case, there's a retaining wire on an old style ABR-1 TOM bridge that is rattling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to suggest something like that.

Comment

It was the string. Thanks guys! JG

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                              Henrik

Comment

Working...
                              X