String buzz/only the A string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String buzz/only the A string?

I have a fairly new guitar with a floyd. The strings have been throughly stretched and the action is at factory specs. I continue to get a bad buzz on the A string only to the 6th fret?None of the other strings have this problem. I read the sticky post about string buzz, but it seemed to indicated that the lack of relief would cause more the one string to buzz. Any suggestions? thank's

Re: String buzz/only the A string?

Could be due to uneven frets. how high is your action now? And is the buzz only on the 6th fret?

Comment

The action is fairly right in the middle not low not high. It is only the A string frets 1 thru 7. I am thinking maybe not enough relief.But wouldn't other strings buzz too.

Comment

If you are familiar with truss rod adjustments, just give it a quarter turn (wait for couple of seconds) and see how the buzz react. Btw, does it buzz when you play the g string unfretted?

Comment

No

Comment

Since there is no open position buzz and is only buzzing on one string, therefore, I don't reckon the problem lays with the nut. Since you mentioned that the action is not exactly low, therefore, it should be either the relief or the uneven frets.

But you can always try to adjust the saddle a little to see whether the buzz goes away AFTER you adjust the truss rod. Or you can shim the nut. (these two method will rise the action)

In conclusion, if the frets need to be worked on, send it back to the seller; if the neck is twisted, send it back to the seller.

Btw, what guitar are we talking about here?
            Fong

Comment

I replaced the string with a new one buzz is gone. Go figure

Comment

after all these, all you need was a new string?! bwhahahaha

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I replaced the string with a new one buzz is gone. Go figure

[/ QUOTE ]

Important lesson [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Check the strings first by replacing them [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Windings come undone man, I went through that about 20 years ago with an LP. The D was buzzing like mad and my tech asked me about the strings. I told him they were new so it couldn't be that. I brought in the guitar and sure enough, it was the string. Even new ones can be defective.
                    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Working...
                    X