No announcement yet.

System 3 Epoxy Grain Filler-Forget It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System 3 Epoxy Grain Filler-Forget It!

I just spent the last 9 hours sanding almost all the epoxy filler off my guitar and neck. The stuff sands pretty easily but is hard to control as a grain filler during application. I had heard the stuff worked pretty good and got some from Luthiers Mercentile.
    I'm going back to good old oil based filler. Anybody else have experience doing epoxy grain filler? This is supposidly the same stuff the surfboard builders use. Maybe I'll build some surfboards with the stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Re: System 3 Epoxy Grain Filler-Forget It!

The epoxy is the same stuff they sell at hobby shops for use on balsa wood. It does go on very un-even (thick and thin spots). The oil based is best, just brush it on, let it dry a little, then wipe it down. Plus, you can tint it, or buy it pre tinted. Good stuff. Make sure you sand ALL of the epoxy off, or you'll end up with a "splotchy" finish when you apply the oil based filler.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      The epoxy is the same stuff they sell at hobby shops for use on balsa wood. It does go on very un-even (thick and thin spots). The oil based is best, just brush it on, let it dry a little, then wipe it down. Plus, you can tint it, or buy it pre tinted. Good stuff. Make sure you sand ALL of the epoxy off, or you'll end up with a "splotchy" finish when you apply the oil based filler.

[/ QUOTE ]
      What type (manufactuer) are you using? I've tried Barley's and the stuff StewMac used to sell, water based clear. Not much luck with them either. I was thinking of trying Behlens Pore-O-Pak.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I've had problems with Pore-O-Pak on ash, it seems to do OK on mahogany where the grain holes are small.

Comment

I've used Enduro. Very good stuff. Here's a link:
          http://www.compliantspraysystems.com/
          I haven't done a trans finish for a few years, so there may be something better out there now.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Cool, thanks, I'll have to give them a call. Looks like you have to get it from them direct. I'm going to be doing a clear poly finish on white Korina pretty soon, so that filler in clear should be ideal.

Comment

Working...
            X