• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Bought a Mod. 5

Hey everyone,
    I just bought a project model 5.

Charvel Model 5

The only thing it needs is pickups and electronics installed. Got it for $220 all together. For the time being, i'm going to put two spare J-50bc's that i have. I'm going to save up for some nice pickups. i have EMG's and know how good they are, But i'm CONSIDERING puting passive pups in it. From experience, Can anyone tell me any good passive humbuckers (neck and brigde) that wouyld good well with this guitar? thanks! john

Re: Just Bought a Mod. 5

Its nice. I was going to buy it, but didnt like the pickups. 1986 was the best year for the Model 5/6. For a good match for passive pickups, through in some Evans......At least thats what I would use......

Comment

HMM....I never heard of Evans. Any good? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

http://www.synapticsystems.com/studi...ns/players.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2:
          Its nice. I was going to buy it, but didnt like the pickups. 1986 was the best year for the Model 5/6. For a good match for passive pickups, through in some Evans......At least thats what I would use......
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No no no.. 1987 was the best year for the Model series.. none of those silly Kahlers! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm confused about the serial number.. it should be on the last fret on the fretboard, not the headstock?!? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

the serial was on the back of the headstock of the Models 5 & 6 in '86
            Hail yesterday

Comment

I was thinking about puting a Duncan JB in the brigde, and a Duncan 59'in the neck. How do you think that would be? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Congrats on the new guitar!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                The '59 is a great neck pup in any guitar. The JB I think is a little thin and could use some low end. I have the JB/59 combo in my mahogany body/neck, maple top Hamer, and it does sound nice, has more high high mids and treble, but I still feel it lacks a little low end. Then again, others here have it in alder or poplar Jacksons and Charvels and other guitars and think it's pretty good. Duncan has a 21-day exchange policy, so I'd suggest trying one out to see what you think.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Now I'm also thinking about trying to find the pickup model that came with the mod. 5, Does anybody know what they where? I'm pretty sure that it had the jackson JE1200 circuit, right?
                  thanks - John

Comment

I got mine in 87 with that silly little Kahler and it rocks! I didn't like the pickups either though and i've gone passive with mine...a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck. Works great, sounds great.

Comment

Thanks pro-fusion!

Comment

Congrads John

You emailed me looking for a dark colored Model 5. I am glad to see you found one. I do like the Kahler on the 5. It is smooth.

If you are looking for active electronics I do see the pickups and electronics come up on eBay from time to time around $50 -$80

I am on the fence on active electronics. I think it is more muddy than just too humbuckers.

Enjoy

Kevin
                        It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

The Model 5 came with Jackson J-50 humbuckers.

Comment

Hey Kevin, Yep! I finally found one to my liking. I don't know what it is about the active circuit, but ever since I got my 650XL and heard it I've love it. Well, thanks for all the replies everyone!

Comment

When I'm done with all the pickup's, I'll be sure to post some pic's of it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X