Model 5 w/Kahler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 5 w/Kahler?

I put a Charvel on layaway today. It has a single humbucker, pointy headstock, rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. It has a Kahler FR type trem.

Can anyone tell me more about this guitar?

Re: Model 5 w/Kahler?

Originally posted by Kirk Slossar:
    I put a Charvel on layaway today. It has a single humbucker, pointy headstock, rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. It has a Kahler FR type trem.

Can anyone tell me more about this guitar?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not sure what that is, but I thought
    a Model 5 was basically the same as a Model 6, but without the fins and binding? Neck-thru, 24 frets, HSS, 3 mini-switches for on/offs.

I always thought a single-HB bolt-on pointy was a Model 1, but didn't think they used the Kahler Floyd.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

There is a Model 5A which had only 1 pickup

The Kahler Trem was used one ALL the Model series (except for Model 1) up untill mid 1987, they then switched to the JT6 Floyd.

Comment

One humbucker & a Floyd with the "Pointy guitar" logo then its either:

Bolt on neck & "normal" Strat body shape = Model 2
        Neck through & "streamlined" Strat body shape= Model 5A

- Steve K
        Model 3
        Model 5A
        Model 3B
        Journeyman
        Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

[/QUOTE]I'm not sure what that is, but I thought
          a Model 5 was basically the same as a Model 6, but without the fins and binding? Neck-thru, 24 frets, HSS, 3 mini-switches for on/offs.

I always thought a single-HB bolt-on pointy was a Model 1, but didn't think they used the Kahler Floyd.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Actually, the standard Model 5 has 2 hums, dots, no binding, and has a 5-way blade switch.

Model 5A has only 1 hum.

Model 5FX has one hum and one slanted single.

You are correct about the Model 1. It had 1 hum, but no locking trem. The Model 2 had 1 hum with the locking trem...that's the only difference in the two.

Also, 2Loud is correct...all 1986 Model series except the Model 1 used Kahler trems. After that they went to the JT6.
          Dana &lt;~~~

[ February 22, 2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: guitarforceone ]
          '85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

So what would one expect to pay for this?

BTW, the body style is the original larger strat style body. I know this means nothing but the neckplate is one of the Fort Worth, TX ones. I know this is probably irrelevant because I think they were all made in Japan anyhow.

One more question - is that Kahler reliable? It is the one that is like a FR - rear routed trem cavity, two point fulcrum. Is the stud spacing the same as a FR, or would I be "stuck" with the Kahler?

Comment

Sounds like a Model 2 or 3, with a Kahler Traditional Series trem, which doesnt swap with Floyds. Its worth about $200 at most...........

Comment

Sounds like I'm going to pass on this one. The guy only had me put $5 down on it for lay away, so it's no loss. They were asking $250 for it.

If anyone is interested in it, I could pick it up I guess. The finish is very cool - it's got the aged white thing happening.

Comment

double post, sorry!

[ February 23, 2003, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Kirk Slossar ]

Comment

Working...
                  X