Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, folks. Can you give me info on the Spectrum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, folks. Can you give me info on the Spectrum?

I really want one of these, and I've been researching them, but I'm having a hard time finding much info.

According to the BB of Electric Guitars, it was only made in 1991. However, I've seen that some people have them from 1989, etc... So, is the blue book incorrect?

Also, it listed the finishes available, but I have found one with a metallic blue finish that was not on the list. Once again, is the book wrong?

Finally, can you guys tell me where to find one with a maple board? The one I've found has rosewood, which I dislike, and the neck pocket is cracked, so I passed. They seem to be quite rare, as I've only found that one for sale, and I never see them on ebay.

Thanks a ton for any help. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Hi, folks. Can you give me info on the Spectrum?

The Spectrum was indeed available in 1989 and lasted through 1991. Three single coil J-200 pickups joined to Jackson's JE-1500 parametric sweep circuit. In 1989 they had JT-6 trems but some time in 1990 they went to the Schaller. Chrome hardware, reverse heads with matching stocks, and maple or rosewood necks. There was a blue color available, I've seen a deep royal blue and a lighter turquoise blue. And orange, white, desert crackle, black, magenta, sea foam green, etc. They have been on eBay over the years, but you're right, not too recently. Probably worth no more than $300. Not rare guitars though, and very unusual for a Charvel of the time (3 single coils!) but a super nice axe no matter what you play.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Thanks! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

There was one by me in a pawnshop a couple months ago. I don't know if it is still there. Turquoise.1 I think it was maple, but I am not sure. The bridge pickup had been changed. They wanted 275 and I think that is too much. I seriously doubt it is the mint guitar you are looking for. Looked played but I didn't look close cause I wasn't interested. I think it will be hard to find one without the superficial stress cracks. I have a fusion that has them and it is in great shape.

Heres one he wants 5 bills maybe he will deal. Its pink though [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Scroll down the pageSpectrum

[ February 17, 2003, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

You weren't kidding about the pink part! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

$500 is too high, I believe, but thanks for trying to help, man. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

dude....i thought i was alone in my love of spectrums!!! i have a black one that i've modded (it's in the gallery), and it's awesome. if interested, i may consider sellin it. many hate them (it's the pickguard) but to me, it was one of charvel's cooler models. the blue book is totally wrong (i have that as well), and joe (charvel 750) did a great job info wise.

and as far as that magenta (it's not 1/2 as pink as it is in the pic....i've seen em in person) spectrum that justin has....well, i know that he'll deal on it. i used to live near him, and i'd visit him whenever i needed parts...or that gmw nagel he had. anyway, justin's a cool guy, and if you have a trade, he'll usually give you a better deal than cash.

sully

[ February 17, 2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That particular Spectrum was owned by JimiD who traded it to him for another guitar. That must have been at least 2 years ago, so after all this time, I'm sure he's ready to deal.....But then again that guy has guitars on that page that havent moved since he created the page...........

Comment

you should see if you can chew down the pink one with a maple board. I've only seen one over the years in blue.

Mine came with a crome JT-6. The nut also says Kahler on it but it's a floyd style with smaller block inserts. Metallic blue.. paid a 175.00 on eBay about 2 years ago.

[ February 17, 2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

My first Charvel was a bright orange spectrum that I picked up at Guitar Center Stoopid cheap around 90-91. I wanna say is was $299 but maybe $399. I REALLY liked the neck and frets on this guitar, but could never come to terms with the lack of a humbucker in the bridge position. I eventually traded it for an amplifier, but it had pretty much everything to do with me playing Jacksons today. I've thought about picking one another one for nostalgia, but I haven't seen to many around.

Comment

Working...
                  X