EMG wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG wiring

Few questions... If you switch EMG's around (85 in bridge to neck, 81 in neck to bridge), will that affect the sound? I switched them today because I didn't like the 85 in the bridge, and now the distortion sounds like shit. Also, is the 81 supposed to be in the neck? This is the second guitar I had EMG's put into and the first one came with the 81 in the bridge. I suppose it could be a matter of opinion.
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Re: EMG wiring

It's just a matter of preference and what sounds better to you. I've had 81s in both positions, as well as 85s, and I prefer the 85 in the bridge with an 81 in the neck. The 85 has an alnico magnet and is warmer/darker sounding, the 81 has a ceramic magnet and is brighter sounding.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This is probably just me, but I prefer 81s in neck-thrus and 85s in bolt-ons.....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Agree as neck thrus are darker tone as opposed to any bolt on strat which are brighter & better harmonics??

Comment

Maple neck-thrus, to me, have always seemed brighter than a bolt-on maple neck. The neck plays more of a role in the tone if it's going all the way through the body. With a bolt-on neck, you're getting more of the tone from the body itself.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Never tried a maple neck thru.....good to know........!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Never tried a maple neck thru.....good to know........!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's where the difference is then. If you're playing mahogany neck thrus versus bolt ons, which have a maple neck 99.9% of the time, then yes, the bolt on will sound brighter.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
              X