Maple fretboard with Abalone inlays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple fretboard with Abalone inlays?

Anyone have pictures of this combo? I just had a stroke of genius last night when dreaming about my custom guitar hah.. I was thinking like maple fretboard with blue abalone inlays... think that would look good? I have to goto my friends and play his maple fretboard again to see if I like the feel of it or not, I havent played one for years.. but im sure it would look amazing! since maple is so light, the blue inlays would really stick out.. on a blue quilted guitar..

Re: Maple fretboard with Abalone inlays?

Fender has done that for years on their "deluxe" models:

http://www.fender.com/products/prod_...1202764_xl.jpg

It'll look good with blue. Other finishes, and I'm more partial to MOP: [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Custom Dinky

Comment

hmm.. maybe another type of pearl or something.. like paua, something more dense and sticking out than abalone cause it seems unless you have a lot of it, it doesnt show that well hehe

I'll look around

Comment

I love abalone and MOP inlays, but it can be tough getting consistent figuring and coloration, which is probably why synthetic materials are used so often. You mention blue abalone, but do you have a point of reference? I have a Dinky with custom green abalone inlays, and the actual green isn't immediately apparent except under direct light. I had a local luthier do the inlays (dots and blocks), and he had me come in to select which pieces to use. It was tough finding consistent pieces, even for small inlays.

The flash in these pics makes it difficult to see some of the figuring, but the split blocks have very prominent ripples and figuring. Not much green in the first (12th fret) inlay...

...metallic silver "drips" over green and white ripples here...

...and from further away the figuring is more visible but the coloration is harder to see.

sigpic

Comment

I have a couple guitars with maple board and abalone dots, very cool combo IMHO:
          [image][/image]
          [image][/image]

Comment

Working...
          X