X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference Between a Duncan TB-4 and SH-4

is there any ?

Re: Difference Between a Duncan TB-4 and SH-4

Only the spacing. The TB4 is spaced wider for Fender trems and Floyds.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Only the spacing. The TB4 is spaced wider for Fender trems and Floyds.

[/ QUOTE ]
      +1 Yes [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Since the TB is wider, does it have a different amount of wire in the windings and does that affect the sound?

Comment

There is not noticeable sound difference to my ears. Of all the JBs and TB4 JBs I've used, I've only found one that sounded halfway decent to me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            There is not noticeable sound difference to my ears. Of all the JBs and TB4 JBs I've used, I've only found one that sounded halfway decent to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Travis - I thought you were a SD guy. Just curious, what SD bridge PU do you prefer over the JB? I like the JB, but have not tried any other SD bridge PUs in my guitars.

Comment

I was gonna try the duncan distortion for my bridge, since I wasnt getting enough output from my JB, but now I don't really have a guitar for it lol

When I do get a 2hum guitar again, gonna try out those Mustaine livewire sets.

Comment

To me, the JB is the most overrated pickup out there. I prefer practiaclly every Duncan pickup I've tried over the JB. I really can't believe that so many people in the 80's got great tone using the JB. It just doesn't work for me, too bright and thin. That being said, the Distortion is one of my all time favorite pickups. And it is identical to the JB except for the magnet. That's what makes all the difference to me. I've been able to get some great tones with 59's, Customs, Distortions, Custom/Customs, APH-1's, Seth Lovers, and a couple of custom shop pickups from Duncan.

BTW, the Mustaine livewire set is an active version of the JB/Jazz combo.

Comment

Thanks for the 411. I'll have to keep an eye out for for a Distortion to try sometime.

Comment

There is no difference. They both sound like shit. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I just made the switch from using emg 89s exclusively to having a set of jb/jazz. I did it by accident because the 89's I got didn't fit so I tried the jb/jazz since they seemed to be the most popular by my very informal polling [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So far I really like them and have been condsidering redoing all my emg guitars with them. The thing I most like is the clear, chimey, clean jazz tones without sacrificing the dirty tones which to me on my gear sound very even.

This is the ONLY passive pickup set I've ever used that isn't a stock set. Since so many of you don't like them I think maybe I should try some of the others you are mentioning before ordering a bunch of jb/jazz sets. The two things I would say I won't move on is it HAS to play clean without rolling back the volume and has to coil tap but other then that I'm open to suggestions. What would you guys recommend a good model to try next and why?

Comment

I've struggled to get a good tone from a JB for years. At bedroom practice levels, it simply does NOT happen. However, at gigging volume, usually with the gain backed off and the mids boosted, I've had decent results. Same thing with the Screamin' Demon. In this case, it was in a basswood Dinky. At lower volumes, it does sound too harsh on the high end and palm mutes get muddy on the low E, but turning up the mids instead of cranking the distortion seems to get me a respectable thump on the low end.

The Full Shred seems like the better pickup for every purpose I can imagine.
                        sigpic

Comment

No issues with the JB here. I went 20 years before having one, but now that I have one it sounds fine to me, and perfect for those 80's tones.

Comment

I was checking out the sound clips on duncans site and the custom and distortion dirty clips sounded better to me then the jb but not the clean. I think for the clean tones I still liked the jb and jazz models the best. Does anybody know how accurate those clips are? I was wondering if they used the same guitar, amp, and settings for all the clips.

Comment

the custom and custom,custom are way better then the JB.

Comment

Working...
                              X