Trem help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem help please

I've got a 1989 model 275 deluxe. The guy I bought it off had it from new and hardly used it so it's in near perfect condition except for the Trem. The knife edges are badly chipped and broken.Is this the JT6 ?. Can I replace it with something else without altering the studs?.Would the 500 or 580 fit. I live in the U K so spares are not as common as in the states.
    Also see my question on the Import Jackson board.

Re: Trem help please

I think you would have to replace it with another JT6.

Comment

Are the fine tuners around the locking screws? That would be a JT6. An Original Floyd will fit on those posts just fine. I think the JT580 and JT500 should also fit. I looked quickly at my JT6 and JT580, and they look like they're spaced the same.

[ February 15, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If the guitar has been left stock, it should have a JT590, according to the MOAI pages I saved.

I know my 275 had one.

The 580 and the 500 should drop right in. As should an OFR.

Comment

Thanks for the help.
          The fine tuners are around the locking screws,so it's a JT6.
          I know it's a stock 1989 model - I've got all the original docs etc.
          If what I've found out is right the MOAI page showed a 1990/91 model which I think was a lot different to the 1989. Different pickup configuration, switching and trem/nut.

Comment

Well if you want to spend the money, You could replace the trem with a floyd rose. As i know of the JT-6 is drilled out the same way a floyd is.
            Just a sugestion....
            - John

Comment

Hey, Will a new floyd fit my bolt on Fusion? I think it has the JT6 on it,but the finish is eaten up . What about nut sizes? Mine has a R4:Could I go smaller and shave the neck? Thanks Tim
              Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I wouldnt shave the neck for a 1/16th", or any amount, just buy a used 1 5/8" neck, you'd be better off. As far as the Floyd, if it's not a 580lp in a recessed route, you shouldnt have any problems with a regular floyd matching up.

Comment

Reverend, you can put an R3 nut on your guitar. It has the string spacing closer together than the R4, which is the same width, but with wider string spacing.

Comment

Yeah, what he said, if the string spacing is your only concern, an R3 will fit exact with smaller spacing. An R2 will be only slightly short about a 32nd on each side of the nut.

[ February 23, 2003, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Working...
                    X