X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean Break?

Does it look like a clean break?

Re: Clean Break?

hard to tell from that pic, but there's a great chance that it could be glued back together.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It might need a couple of pieces of wood splints to make it stronger. I don't know if that's the correct term, but I've seen it done for bad breaks. A couple of narrow channels are routed from one side of the break to the other, and pieces of wood are glued in, and then trimmed to match the neck profile.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

yeah, some splines would work. wtf is a spline, anyway? so, michaeal, i'd say "you've got some splineing to doooo!" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sorry, i had to.
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          It might need a couple of pieces of wood splints to make it stronger. I don't know if that's the correct term, but I've seen it done for bad breaks. A couple of narrow channels are routed from one side of the break to the other, and pieces of wood are glued in, and then trimmed to match the neck profile.

[/ QUOTE ]
          +1 Looks like that vertical crack my nessitate splints. At least 2.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Could I just glue and Clamp it down until it dries? I guess I'm having a hard time picturing what you guys are saying.

Comment

just use some duct tape

Comment

What he was refering to are called biscuits.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Could I just glue and Clamp it down until it dries? I guess I'm having a hard time picturing what you guys are saying.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Do you have a copy of the "Bible", Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide? In the book he recommends if your not familiar with performing this operation. (installing splines or splints, or biscuits) that a good luthier be used. It involves routing 2 or more channels from the back of the neck down to the fretboard. The splints fit tightly into the routed channels and are glued in. Once the glue dries the clamps are removed the splints are shaped and coutoured back to the neck profile. This will require the finish be restored at the location of the repair. The joint will be stronger than it ever was after this repair. You could just glue ( a glue like Titebond II) and clamp the crack using a glue syringe, (will make sure glue gets in everywhere) but if the neck breaks again in this area your chances are slim to none to get it right again.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

the glue job is done, then two channels that go parallel with the neck) are routed into the back of the neck; from the pic you've posted, they'd start about a 1/4" above where that 1st fret position marker starts and end in the back of the headstock. then, two pieces of wood (the size of the channels that were routed) are glued in. those additions, or "splines," would add strength and more stability to that area (along with gluing the break).

if you can visualize two small skunk stripes (or bc rich style "stringers") over that area, that's basically what it would look like.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I had a 1963 SG Special neck come apart from the body. No fucking around, took it right to Dan. Fantastic job. The axe had a (crappy - epoxy not mixed correctly, never hardened) neck repair when I bought in 1989 so I don't know it was when new, but this neck is on solid, better than new I imagine.

Comment

Working...
                      X