"New" neck, with issues - fretjob Qs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" neck, with issues - fretjob Qs

Ok, I finally found another Jackson JTX model neck, and it's been played like a guitar should be played - maple board that looks like it came off of Frankie.

Anyhoo, some tool removed the 23rd and 24th frets (wires, not the wood), and the other frets are lookin kinda flat.

So, who would I send the neck to for either a complete refret or just a fret dress and have the 2 missings replaced?

I'd need someone that wasn't ultra-booked-up - I'd like to get it back in 30-60 days, not 3 years [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

GMW is not really an option - too many bad stories lately.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: \"New\" neck, with issues - fretjob Qs

Judging from the link Sully posted about fret work it doesn't look THAT complicated to do. May be a little pricey to get it all started though.

What part of West Tn. are you in? There's a couple of places here in Memphis that can probably do it.
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Just start working on your fretless technique. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah, fretless! Maybe I can improve my shredding [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

StJ - I'm actually only 80 miles north of you.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Ok, so I went looking at that Frets.com site - TONS of valuable info - read the article about refretting a Martin acoustic - makes me wanna try it myself!

So, having said that, I'm over at StewMac looking at the fretting supplies. They've got an "Essential Fretting Tool Kit" - tools and a book by Erlewine.

So then I'm looking at fretwire - they have some 2 foot packs nice and cheap.

Sooooooo I break out my digital calipers (bought from StewMac) and measure the height and width of the frets on the JTX neck and my NASL.
          Both are 0.110" wide, and the NASL frets are 0.160" tall (these particular calipers have a handy fret-height notch in the end).

Stewmac ain't got fretwire that tall [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

The 2 frets can be replaced, but you´ll likely need to redress the entire board to guarantee all the tops are on the same plane [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I was thinkin that - looks like one's a bit high as well, so I may as well take the opportunity to learn how to do refrets [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

newc, if stewmac doesn't have the right size, warmoth probably does.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

in theory, on paper, or on a website, fretwork is simple. you just follow the steps: get the board straight, level the frets with a mill file, crown the tops, round the edges, sand it all with 600, 800, 1000, 0000 steel wool, and you're good to go!

...but reality is a harsh mistress. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

fretwork is equal parts following the steps and feel. you can do a fret level and think it came out great until you slap strings on it and welcome to plinkville.

by no means am i saying not to give it a shot, and newc's project neck sounds like a great candidate for learning the ropes. i think the biggest challenge for me at least is rounding the fret edges. it sounds retardedly easy, but that's the one that gives me hassles. if you know someone locally who does fretwork, see if you can take your neck to them and have them guide you through it. i was lucky enough to have had a pretty good teacher (whose name i won't mention here), and he really helped give me some confidence with doing the work.

just remember, there isn't much on a guitar that can't be fixed. you can always refret it, reglue that snapped headstock, relocate a bridge, and repaint a guitar.

sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, doing the deed is not hard, its getting the right tools to do a pro job that is expensive. I probably have close to $1k wrapped up into tools. You really need info on the neck you are doing regarding the frets and the tangs on the frets. Some frets can be pulled right off the top without an issue, some have to be knocked either out the bass side or treble side to avoid chipping. On this particular Charvel neck, I would soak the board with oil....let it set for a couple of days and then remove the frets. Remove the frets with a pair of nose cutters....the small ones you get in a four pack at Wal-Mart with other useful small pliers and cutters for about $5.00. Inch them out. Straighten the neck, let it sit for a day or so to make sure it is "truly" straight and all stress is relieved. Install your frets... level them....finish and polish.....should be good to go.-Lou
                    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Thanks for the tips - at this point I'm well aware of the differences between how easy someone who knows how to do it makes it sound or look vs actually doing it for the first time [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The guy at Frets.com used a soldering iron to heat the frets and some fret pulling pliers to inch them out.

Regarding the StewMac "Essential Fretting Toolkit" - you save almost a whole buck by buying all the parts of it separate but getting the fret pullers that they recommend over the ones that come in the package deal [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Still got a cart with $300 worth of stuff in it though, but that includes the handy-dandy fretbender and fretwire.

But yeah, I can see a majorly scuffed fretboard in my future when it comes to rounding the frets and smoothing the ends when I slip [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Good thing I've got a couple of old necks to practice with [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The fret dressing file is rounded on one end, just make sure the round part is always facing down. They also have metal gauges that fit over the frets so you won't scratch the board up when dressing and all that stuff.

You could always tape the board to keep it from getting all scratched up too.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking tape on the board or some of that "rip-proof" material like some envelopes are made of (can't tear it by hand)

Comment

I don't have tons of experience with frets, but from what I have done so far I can say it's not fun. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

actually, it depends on the person; it's one thing that i like doing. sometimes it can be relaxing. sometimes it's irritating.
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X