Pots for J200....250K or 500k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pots for J200....250K or 500k?

I'm making a guitar and using jackson pickups. I'm using a 500K volume for the humbucker, but i'm not sure about the J200's since they aren't "true" single coil pickups. Should i treat them as singles (250k) or humbuckers (500k)?

Re: Pots for J200....250K or 500k?

I'd use 500k pots, but imo the J200s don't sound good at all unless they are used with one of the Jackson active electronics systems like the JE-1000, JE-1200, or JE-1500. That's what they were designed for. Most of the catalogs say "designed for use with actve circuitry," but in this one

http://www.metalbrigade.com/jcf/catalog/images/11.jpg

they come right out and say "<u>must</u> be used with low impedence electronics."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I'd use 500k pots, but imo the J200s don't sound good at all unless they are used with one of the Jackson active electronics systems like the JE-1000, JE-1200, or JE-1500. That's what they were designed for. Most of the catalogs say "designed for use with actve circuitry," but in this one

http://www.metalbrigade.com/jcf/catalog/images/11.jpg

they come right out and say "<u>must</u> be used with low impedence electronics."

[/ QUOTE ]
      +1... IMO they sound pretty weak w/o the boards....

Comment

oh sh*t...i knew i should have bought the Charvel 4 body w/ all electronics on ebay. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

W/out the board, how do you compare them to a J100? I also like the J-100s but i wanted something hum canceling. I loved the J200s in my old Charvel model 4...but i'm an idiot, so i didn't think about how they'd sound without the mid boost system.

Comment

They sound somewhat muddy with the JE-1500 turned off in my Fusion. With the "wah" turned on, you can get a sparkly strat tone with them. So, they can work without the onboard circuit.

I would definitely use 500K pot, maybe even a 1meg pot with these pickups. They need all the help they can get to brighten up the tone.

I really like the Jackson "rails" single coil pickup, but it sounds more like a humbucker than a single coil. Don't expect strat sounds from it.

Comment

So your wah pedal effects the tone the same way the preamp does?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? You mean they sound BAD or Quiet or just lack the mid boost?

This guitar project has been hell, i wish the pickups could just be simple...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                So your wah pedal effects the tone the same way the preamp does?

[/ QUOTE ]

The JE-1500 is a "wah" pre-amp. It's like the guts of a wah pedal. I'm talking about the JE-1500 only. JE-1500 = wah.

Comment

Without the active circuit, I'd take the J100 over the 200. If you've got a few bucks to spend, there are so many great choices from Duncan & DiMarzio. Hot Rails are one of my favorites.

Comment

I used to have a Charvel model 4 and I loved the tone of the J200 middle pickup combined with the bridge j90C...i was trying to reproduce that tone in this guitar. Maybe i can get a preamp on ebay or something?

So is there anyway to emulate the JE1200 using an EQ pedal or clean boost or something?

I wish the 2003 manual i saw made it clear that the preamp was needed.

EDIT: Oh wait, the manual did make that clear. Well I feel stupid... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Without the active circuit, I'd take the J100 over the 200. If you've got a few bucks to spend, there are so many great choices from Duncan & DiMarzio. Hot Rails are one of my favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything you know of that would sound like a j200? Maybe an HS3 or something?

Comment

Anything that Duncan or DiMarzio are offering would probably sound a lot better than the J200s. I didn't like them even with the mid boost - very dull sounding pickups.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Anything that Duncan or DiMarzio are offering would probably sound a lot better than the J200s. I didn't like them even with the mid boost - very dull sounding pickups.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the mid boost i liked them. What kind of EQ should i look for in a pickup to get something similar?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? You mean they sound BAD or Quiet or just lack the mid boost?

This guitar project has been hell, i wish the pickups could just be simple...

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak = no power, no guts, no sparkle = makes a standard strat single coil lool like a work of art...

But they don´t hum [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X