Loose Binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Binding

What is the best way to fix loose binding. It is only comeing loose at the bottom of the neck about a 1/2". Thanks for any help.

Re: Loose Binding

Got pics?

Comment

I'll get some and post them. It is bearly coming loose at the bottom of the fret board on the low e side you really have to look for it to see it.

Comment

If you bought it new it should have a lifetime warrantee

Comment

Picture Of Loose Binding, It is loose at the bottom of the fret board on the low e side.

Comment

If it were me, I'd maybe try super glue.
            Place some masking tape on the finish surrounding the loose bindind so the super glue doesn't cause the finish to "haze". Then maybe try using a syringe (or maybe the tip of a straight pin) to apply the super glue in the crack and clamp it tight.

Comment

That's what I had thought about doing, I wanted to get some opinions before I tried it so I wouldn't mess up the binding or fret board. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

it's just at the junction, right? as posted above, mask around the finish, grab a razor blade, clean the gunk out of the gap and drop a drop or two of water thin super glue in there and you should be fine.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yes,it is just at the junction.Thanks for the reply.I'm going to follow yours and Model1VH2's suggestions.

Comment

so it's not pulling away from the fretboard? if it is and you need to glue it back together, a nice way to make the clamping go well is to take 2 mill files, and put them on each side of the fretboard; it's a little easier to clamp it that way. here's a pic:

let it sit overnight, and then one of the last things you'll need to do is scrape the excess glue that will come out of the top. just take a fresh razor blade and hold it in both hands, perfectly perpendicular to the fretboard, and pull it toward you. you're just wanting to scrape the surface; not dig into it. after a few passes, the excess glue will be gone. you may have a bit of scraping on the fretboard, and you can get that out with a little piece of 0000 grit steel wool; just wad up a little ball of it and buff the scrape out. be sure to go with the grain. and while you're at it, use that fresh razor blade to degunk the rest of the fretboard if it needs it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Great advice Sully.
                      I'd maybe use wood strips of hard wood as opposed to files though.
                      Files may leave marks. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

i hear ya; since that guitar was to be repainted, i wasn't too concerned about the finish. that said, some wood shims would also work quite nicely.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It is pulling loose from the fretboard but only to about the 24th fret.Thanks for the pictures on how to clamp it.By the way how is your Warlock project coming along?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            It is pulling loose from the fretboard but only to about the 24th fret.Thanks for the pictures on how to clamp it.By the way how is your Warlock project coming along?

[/ QUOTE ]

not too bad, i've got a bit more body work to do and then prime it for good. i was working on the neck today; last week i fixed the crack in the fretboard/neck and took the finish off the back of it. i was pretty surprised to see mahogany under the black paint. i've gunstock oiled it (was surprised to learn that it's basically linseed oil with some other things as well) and today i started working on the face of the headstock; it's pretty dinged up, so i masked off the logo, filled where i needed to, and primed it. tomorrow i'll sand it flat and hit it with some black. not too sure how it's gonna come out; i've never tried to save a logo before. the mask is a little bigger than each part of the logo, so i may have to feather the new black a little bit so it matches up with the old. here's how it looks now:

cross a finger for me, i hope this one comes out well.

sully
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Looks great sully!
                              I'm curious to see how that logo turns out.
                              Someone just asked me to paint an Ibanez setneck, and I told him he'd loose the logo. I told him eBay has waterslide decals logos all the time and I could just apply it and clear over it with the new paintjob, but I don't think he liked that idea.

I don't see why your method wouldn't work!
                              Why didn't I think of that? [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X