Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project started. Pics inside. Will be updated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project started. Pics inside. Will be updated...

Okay, rather than use the old thread (I figure people want pictures, and don't want to look for them) I'd start a new one, dedicated to the project I started.

Here's what it was.

It's this cheap finish, that with any bump or scratch it flakes off. It's seen some play time in bars, so it got even more beat. (The fucked up thing is, none of my other guitars are beat to piss at all, just this one).

Well It's an Ibanez 7 string. Nothing great, but it's not a bad playing 7. I used it in a cover group, so fuck it.

I wanted to refinish it. I came here, and with some advice from people here, I've got an "idea" what I'm going to do. I started by taking all of the hardware off of it, and the neck off.

Then I started sanding the sides with some 80 grit. One of the guys at work mentioned using Strypeaze (spelling). I figured fuck it, and gave it a shot. After heavily coating the front of the guitar, and letting it sit for 20 minutes, I started to scrape...not a god damn thing came up.

Gave it another coat, and let it sit for 40 minutes....hardly any came up. I grew frustrated with the product, but gave it ONE last chance. Another thick coat. 50 minutes. Some came up, but I had to work my ass off for it. After cleaning up SOME of the front, I decided that it would be quicker to sand it.

Strypeaze 0- Guitar 3.

Determined that the guitar cannot beat me, I sanded it. After a few rounds of 80 grit, I've got a decent hunk of wood.

This picture here, I edited the exposure on it. I wanted to show some of the grain, but more importantly I wanted to show the dents (they look like crack, but that's just like the top of the divot) from (I'm assuming) them putting in the string bezels.

Well the guitar is coming along. I do have a lot more sanding to do, and still some old finish to get up (look at the voids).

Here's the problem I'm faced with. If I go a solid set up (ala the silver burst I want to do) I can fill the voids with filler, and you'll never know they were there.

After sanding it, I'm thinking that I like the wood, a lot. There's a problem though. Since there is voids in a lot of places, you'd see filler through the finish.

Another thing I'm thinking about doing is just sanding everything smooth, imperfections and all, and just clearing it.

What do you think?

Re: Project started. Pics inside. Will be updated...

If the neck is clear/unfinished and you can sand everything smooth enough that not much filler would be needed, then I'd say go for the clear.

Comment

The neck is clear, but I'm not doing anything to the neck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

There looks like there's some sort of poly sealer still on there.
        The cracks appear to be just finish cracks in the sealer.
        If you wanted to clear it, I would suggest getting rid of the remaining sealer, thus getting rid of the cracks and blemishes first.
        IMO, the wood really isn't pretty enough to go through all that trouble.
        I'd do filling and some body prep, and throw a nice "flip flop" paintjob in it.
        Maybe like a pearl white or a pearl purple.

That's just my opinion. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, for some reason the pics are not showing up for me......probably my firewall or some silly shit.

Here is some food for thought. More than likely, the body is basswood. It is a very soft wood. It usually is not too pretty to look at ,but, if it were cut properly from the tree, I guess it could have some decent figure to it. Instead of sanding the whole body down to get the bad stuff out ( besides, if you paint it, you will probably see that even though you tried your best to sand it evenly e verywhere, there will be high and low spots ), take some of that sawdust you have sitting around, mix it with some clear epoxy, poor it into the dent/crack, let it dry and sand it flush. It won't be perfect, but, it should be hardly noticeable. You may also be able to get a clothes iron hot, moisten the dent with water, lay the iron on it ( be carefull as to not burn the wood ) and it may "sweat out". I have done that trick on wood floors alot. It won't come out with one try.....it will probably take several attempts. For real stubborn dents, I would lay a wet wash cloth between the iron and the wood and let it sit a little bit.... AGAIN....use caution!!!-Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

paint it.

what's up with the ferrule holes? are they supposed to be straight or some kinda pattern?
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm not quite sure Sully. I noticed that when I bought it, and just took it for what it is. They line up on the other side, through the bridge.

Yeah, there is some sort of sealer/clear coat on it still. I didn't go all of the way through, but I do plan on it. I remember reading through guitar world just recently, saying that you don't want to take the sealer off, or you'll have to re-seal it.

Basically what I think I'm doing is, I'm going to sand the sealer shit off. I'm going to fine sand it through different grades. Then I'm going to prime it. Then it's getting some silver. Some black. Some clear. Some sanding in between, some buffing at the end.

If it's no good, I can always restrip it. I'm thinking Krylon all of the way (as mentioned in the other thread).

Thoughts or opinions?

Comment

leave the sealer on it, fill your dings, and prime it.
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That is really strange how the ferrule holes are so badly aligned.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Re: Project started. Pics inside. Will be update

i think for that Strypeaze stuff to work, you have to sand the finish down and get it rough as hell, then put it on and scrape away.

but some paints just resist it. I tried it on my JS20 dinky body, and the paint just laughed at it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      leave the sealer on it, fill your dings, and prime it.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. Take it from someone who had to sand the rest of the way, cause the previous owner sold it off, half sanded to the wood. Fill the dings, and move on.
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

I'm taking the guitar to work tomorrow, to fill the fuck ups on it. After that shit hardens, I'll be sanding her a little bit smoother.

This brings me to a question,

I've got a guy at work, who has a gun set up (he sprays cars) and said, he wouldn't mind shooting a guitar for me, I just buy everything.

Then he said "get on that internet you've got, and find out what kind of paints are okay to use".

He said, that Krylon will be cheaper, and maybe quicker, but you may be limited on your color choices. He said I could go to Fender Mender (a place for car shit) and buy like, a pint of each color (I don't think I can get less, even though I won't need more than a cup of black) and a quart of clear (and he said I probably only need a pint).

Anyway, what should I use to paint this fucker up? I read in the other thread, and it's saying laquer. I'm also looking at the guitar refinishing thing in Guitar World, and it says they used Laquer, but it took like 80,000 years to harden.

Basically, what route do I take? Krylon? Or car enamel? What time of car enamel?

Comment

never enamel.

that said, if he paints cars, have him use catalyzed urethane primer, whatever color you want (to save $, you can use createx airbrush paint; they've got some cool colors, it's waterbased (no wet sanding it with water, but solvents won't hurt it), and catalyzed high solids clear.

if you have a hobby lobby near by, go check out their createx airbrush paints for your color coats, you may find something you like. here's a link if you don't have one local:

http://www.kustomshop.com/scripts/de...?pgm=kscre.bbx

if you've got someone who can paint cars near you, there's no reason to use rattlecans... fo sho.
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

oops.... you need brands.

advantage makes a decent primer, and i use the omni high solids clear coat. you can buy it in quarts, and don't forget the hardeners. you can get that stuff for about 60-75 or so (primer and clear). if the paint shop has color chips you can look through (they should), there's tons of automotive paint you can use, and they'll probably give it to you in 1/2 pints. i just bought some more silver today to go under a kandy green, and a 1/2 pint cost me $25. that said, i bought 2 2oz bottles of createx purple for 3.99 a bottle at hobby lobby. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

sully
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              if you've got someone who can paint cars near you, there's no reason to use rattlecans... fo sho.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

However, I may be a little concerned about this guys knowledge of paint, especially if he suggested Krylon and even went as far as to say it would be quicker? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Do you have any other buddies who paint cars? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X