notched frets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notched frets

hello- My Jackson Fusion has some string wear notches below the high E and B strings on the 21st and 22nd frets. These are very annoying if you try to bend through them or use vibrato at these locations. Can I simply file these down to remove the notches and if so is there a special file for this? I'm hopin I don't have to replace the fret. Thanks, Karl

Re: notched frets

in theory, yeah, you probably can, but you run the risk of messing with the fret height, and that can lead to more issues. you may wanna take it to a qualified tech (if you feel you're not one) first.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="aqua">agreed, this is actually how I started getting into my first days of fretwork. I was pretty young and ran into what you're describing and got a file out of the toolbox and starting going "at it". Needless to say I pretty much ruined the neck.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

for right now though, if you've got some steel wool, you could try some 00 steel wool to take the edge off of the nicks, then some 000 steel wool, and finish off with 0000. that may be enough to get you by.

dave, i've been there as well! that poor fret never knew what hit it! i learned that accurate fretwork just might not be done with a 3M block and some 150 grit. ah, to be 16 again! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sully
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

And I learned pretty quick that when working with steel wool, protect the fret board with some masking tape!
          It took me longer to fix the fret board than it did to polish the frets. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          -Rick

Comment

<font color="aqua">then learn to play with really high action at the nut with a shim under it, right? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

depending on what the board is, steel wool is no big deal on it. i sure wouldn't use it on maple, but rosewood or ebony is no big deal, you just have to make sure that if you go across the grain that you go back over it with the grain to get the scratches out.

sully
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I guess the consensus is that if I have to actually file it I should take it to a tech. I'll try the 00 steel wool though first. I'll have to get some, I've got plenty of 0000 from cleaning the frets on used guitars I've gotten (so I also know about taping the fret board and covering the pickups).
                Thanks again! Karl

Comment

Working...
                X