Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to start a new project painting involved.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to start a new project painting involved.

I plan on refinishing my Black Ibanez 7 string *(the guitar I care the least about) in silver burst.

I'm taking the body to work tomorrow to sand it.

Could someone please link a site, or give me some tips. I want to stick to rattle cans. I've basically read from the other thread that Krylon is the way to go from a can.

I'm not solid on the process, but I figure this;
    1; Sand body
    2; Prep body with sequentially finer grits of paper.
    3; Prime the body.
    4; sprapy silver.
    5; another coat of silver.
    6; the blacking of the edges (I've not decided if I'm silverbursting just the front, of all of it yet).

Can someone fill in the blanks?

Re: Going to start a new project painting involved.

7. Clearcoating if you are bursting?) www.projectguitar.com is one www.paintyourownguitar.com (Krylon Man)is another and any of Dan Erlewine's DVD's or books on finishing, available from www.stewmac.com
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Check the thread right below yours. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

as far as the bursting process goes; don't do the stenciling method that's on the project guitar site, just freehand it. the pix i've seen that were done w/the stencil look like ass. it's really not that hard to do, and you'll have a soft edge around the body as opposed to what the stencil will do.

i think you'll have more difficulty with your colors making a gradual burst than painting the burst itself, if that makes any sense. if you go silver to black, you need to have an inbetween color to blend it, kwim? as far as shooting the burst, face the body as it hangs, and shoot at 45 degree outward angle, and you should be fine.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, is Kwim the middle color you're speaking about? Or just a comment? I'm not sure what you mean.

http://www.martyfriedman.com/downloa...iedman0035.jpg

I was looking at Marty's and it just looks silver to black. What color should I use inbetween?

Fett, I was reading that thread before I posted this one, it contains a lot of useful info.

Bengal, thank you for the sites.

Comment

kwim? = Know What I Mean?

sorry bout that!

if you're going for that look, then yeah, you just have two colors. the 45 degree angle was what helped me most when i shot kev's ghettoburst variax that i posted before:

the headstock doesn't photo too well, but here's how it looks:

those were also candy colors, so they'll overlap each other and blend better (imo) than completely solid colors if that makes sense.

sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully those look amazing!

I'll be posting pics along the way, so we can see me fuck up! I figure screw it...it's just an cheap ibenhad 7 stringer. If I like it, great! If no, I can restart.

Comment

EXACTLY! you can always sand it back.
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                X