No announcement yet.

OFR sans fine tuner opinions, please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR sans fine tuner opinions, please...

I have never seen or used one of these, without the fine tuners. I would being buying it and having it installed in America and having the guitar shipped to me in Japan, hence my need for expert opinions:

What do you think about this version?

I have no real need for a locking nut, as I am not a vibrato manic anymore. Would you install one of these with a standard nut and no retaining bar, just the brass string tree and unlabeled mini Gotohs?

If a standard nut is ok, would you recommend one type of nut over the other and why?

Is $85 a fair price for one in decent shape? (The seller has been super cool with me on other deals, so I am thinking that it's not out of line).

Re: OFR sans fine tuner opinions, please...

You're going to want a locking nut no questions asked for an OFR. Those help to keep the string from twisting the tuners/stretching around the tuners. That causes all sorts of tuning problems if that happens. I've heard of some people using a standard nut IF they have locking tuners. Not sure about how reliable that is though.

If you want to try this with locking tuners, I would for one suggest a graphite nut. Plastic nuts will wear down with the strings rubbing on them. The graphite should allow the string to move freely. You might invest in some big bends nut sauce.

Without fine tuners? I couldn't tell you what the value would be, somebody else will pick up here. Personally I wouldn't buy a trem that wasn't complete unless I need a parts trem. Perhaps I misundertood your meaning.

HTH

Comment

Yes, you misunderstood. The first version didn't have fine tuners. It looks like this: www.vintagekramer.com/parts/floydnotun.jpg

Comment

Couldn't tell you anything about that trem dude, sorry. Any kind of a floating trem should probably have nut locks though.

Comment

Kabong....if the trem looks exactly like the one in the Kramer link, I would pass at $85. It is one of the cheapest Floyds ever produced and was used on cheap import Kramers. I think $40 - $50 is more in line for that model.

If the one you're looking at looks more like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7390248859

then its definitely worth $85 bucks (the difference is in the saddles and the big red sticker). If it has a green sticker and some nuts around the locking bolts, then its even rarer.

Comment

Another noticeable difference is the bass side by the pivot post is more narrow.

I had one of the older 80's models (with the narrow bass side) on a Warmoth Star body with a Jackson AT-1 neck (regular nut, regular tuners). Surprisingly, it stayed in tune quite well, though I didn't get wierd with it like Vai.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I inquired if there is a sticker on the block. The link was super helpful. Cheers.

Comment

The problem with using a locking nut with that trem is that when you lock it down it changes pitch.

But locking tuners would help. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X