Truss rod adjustment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss rod adjustment...

After smoothing the fret ends on my SL2H and restringing it I found that the action is unbelievably high. So I checked the neck the see if was level... No, there's a freaking bow in it.

I'm not a tech, obviously, and only deal with my own guitars and some others for setups and such, but I've only dealt with one bowed neck. That one turned out well, but I'm not 100% on a thing or 2...

1. I've read that all tension should be removed from the neck before making an adjustment, but I've also read that the adjustment should be made with the guitar fully tuned.

Which is it?

I've also read conflicting articles saying it takes about 24 hours for the neck to adjust, but then I've read it should pretty much be an instant thing.

Which is it?
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Re: Truss rod adjustment...

move it 1/4 turn at a time with the strings on and tuned to pitch if you can.
    play that for a bit and see how it goes. adjust again if necessary. remember a little releif is imparative.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Target relief is 0.010" (a FMIC number) at the 7th fret. Use a precision straight edge or put a capo at the first fret and press the string down at the 17th and measure with a piece of string .010" or feeler gage. Good eye sight is imperitive. I wear my handy dandy Dan Erlewine recommended Magna Visor. You can have less say .008", but I would go any smaller.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I go as low as 0.005" if the frets are real good!

Comment

Here's my problem...

My main guitar is a bolt on DKMG, modified... The action is sweet and low. Very low and I love it.

This SL2H I'm dealing with now is for all practical purposes is brand new and I've had nothing but trouble out of it. Not at all what I expect from a Jackosn. I say that simply because I've never had but great experiences with every Jackson I have bought, until this one. What kind of pisses me off is the fact I felt I was trading way up by going USA. I could have bought 3 DKMG's and the parts for the mods for the price of this one guitar.

I have a DK pro I've had since '92 and not the first problem with it. I can't knock it out of tune with a sledge hammer!

I have had other brands of guitars that were a little tempermental so maybe that's all this is and I'm just not used to it from Jackson.

But still after making the adjustments the action is fine at the low end, but still very high at the high end. It's as if the neck is tilted forward instead of back.

Compared to other SL's I've seen I really don't think this neck is right.

Comment

I hear your fustration. Well, you can't exactly blame the neck variation on the manufactuer. Wood is Wood and is going to move somewhat. I had for example a PC1, for 4 days new and the neck split in the center with the grain on the backside about the 2nd fret. I don't know why this happened except for several possible reasons, Shipping impact, 1/4 sawn maple and it's consistent grain and climate effects.
              So, anyway have you checked the neck for straightness and fret levelling? If your still having problems I'd check at the beginning. Are you the original owner? You know these types of problems would be covered under warranty, if indeed there is something wrong with the neck causing the problems you are having.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Yeah, the leveling is fine now. I am beginning to think it's the way it was cut with a little too much forward tilt.

Since this is neck thru there's no way to shim it. I may end up breaking my rule of not letting anyone but me work on my guitars and take it to someone who knows a hell of a lot more than me...

Comment

Working...
                X