Input Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input Jack

My Custom Shop came with a jack that I had never seen before.

It has some kind of locking mechanism where when you plug in a cord it locks the cable into the jack fairly tight.

You have to press harder than normal to get the cord into the input jack until it locks. Pretty cool idea I thought until it broke.

Now I am going to have to take the guitar to a local Jackson repair shop to get the jack replaced because it does not lock the cord in any more and my cord keeps falling out.

Anyone know if these locking jacks typically last? Or should I get a normal jack put in there?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Re: Input Jack

Is it the kind that has the little tab you push down to unplug the cable? If it is, you also need to push the tab down to plug in the cable, rather than pushing harder on the plug. That could be what made it fail.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I will check it out thanks.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I have a custom that came with a very tight jack/chord fit. Felt like you had to jam it in hard, just like you described. I unscrewed it, and tried again with the jack out of the body. The chord went in normally, smooth, easy and no problem. I was [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img].

Screwed the jack back into the body, and "jam-boree" all over again. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] again. Unscrewed it a second time, flipped it around, and screwed it back in again. Smooth, easy, no jamming any time since.

...Weird, huh? I'm no expert, but I think the body route was not agreeing with the jack installation in one direction, but was fine when you flipped it around. So the route and/or jack itself was angled a bit too much to fit well one way, but fit A-OK the other direction.

Your experience may vary. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I've seen those jacks that were installed "sideways", making the one prong push inward - I've done that myself [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I was under the impression that if you wanted a locking jack you had to specify it [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

No I did not specify it. There is no tab - I checked.

The guitar just came that way.

I am going to take mine out and try flipping it. What a pain.
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
            X