Jackson Pickup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Pickup question

It's a long story. To the chase. What Model is the Hum that has screw poles? And what model is the one without? Which would you prefer? Thanks in advance. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Re: Jackson Pickup question

Ooohhh, that's a toughie [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, based on that. I did good. Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think all Jackson hums had screws on one coil, however since most of them were also covered.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

none of my jackson pups have em, i have a couple 80C's, a 90C and a 50BC

Comment

I know the one that was in my old Model 5A didn't have any screw poles, they were just flat (I know this because I took the cover off at one time). I believe it was a J95.

The J50N in my old Kelly XLR had the bottom coil with screws, which I thought was weird since it was a neck pup.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a J50BC with screw poles on one coil (both the slugs and the screws are black on this pup btw).

Then I have a J80C and a J50B that both only have slugs (non-adjustable).

Comment

The J90C on my Charvel Predator doesn't have screw poles, while the one on my '86 Model 2 has on the lower coil.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  It's a long story. To the chase. What Model is the Hum that has screw poles? And what model is the one without? Which would you prefer? Thanks in advance. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the better quality ones have screw poles, and the cheapies don't. Just my opinion. Are the ones without screw poles even made in the U.S.?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I think the better quality ones have screw poles, and the cheapies don't. Just my opinion. Are the ones without screw poles even made in the U.S.?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    As far as I can tell, yes. All the Jackson pups that I have in my posession for the moment are all very similarly constructed: The Jackson stamped baseplate, thick plastic cover with embossed/painted logo (mounted with a strip of some kind of double adhesive tape), four conductor wiring, the model name on a sticker on the back and a thick wax coating. The J50BC has the screw poles, while the other two don't.

You're probably thinking of the really crappy pups that came on mid 90's imports? I've had a couple of those as well, and they had a blank baseplate (some tin, others brass), dual conductor setup, nothing to indicate the pup model, no wax coating and the Jackson logo silkscreened in white on the treble coil. They were all total junk. IIRC, some of those did have screw poles also - so you can't really determine place of manufacture on the type of poles alone IMO.

Comment

All of my Jackson Hums have standard one screw one slug coils. About a 50-50 spread Black-Nickel on the cosmetics.

But I´ve also seen all of them with 2 slug rows, these were always black oxide and never nickel.

I definitely prefer adjustable slugs. the slight mismatch in the magnetic field opens up the sound a bit, as well as the adjustable poles being much easier to alleviate eventual string balance issues with.

As far as using them as an identification marking: I think this thread is proof that that´s not a very good idea [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        You're probably thinking of the really crappy pups that came on mid 90's imports?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The had a single stamp on the back 'F' for front, 'R' for rear. From a PS6T Performer Kelly, 4 conductor wiring, with rusted poles. Since the poles were rusted, that leads me to believe there were even coated with nickel or something to prevent oxidation - very cheap.

Comment

I received the pickups. This is what the stickers on the hums say: LP-H 10.8 and LP-H 10.2. Anybody know what that means? [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

It means they´re Import crap [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Say it ain't so. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X