Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting mono volume pedal into stereo pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting mono volume pedal into stereo pedal?

Ok, I've done minor pedal mods before (read: I drilled a hole in a Crybaby and wired a pot to change the sweep range) but just to be sure, I wanna check with you guys (JG?)

Anyhoo, I've got an Ernie Ball High-Gain volume pedal (has some sort of direct-wired circuit - no battery) and I want to add a second output so I can feed two preamps straight from the guitar.

Anyone done this to this model? (GCB-80)
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Converting mono volume pedal into stereo pedal?

Shouldn't be hard Newc. You could just tap off the wires at the existing output jack and you are ready. A less job related way ( But, less pro looking ) would be just go to radio shack and buy a 2 into 1 mono jack adapater ( has two 1/4" females and one 1/4" male ).-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

You would loose a lot of your signal quality if you simply cut your signal in two. I think you would need some sort of powered splitter in there.... It may just be easier to split your signal after the pedal. Did you want the volume on both outputs to be the same, or did you want the pedal to do some sort of panning between the two?

Comment

That's what I thought would happen if I just wired in a new jack or did the splitter adaptor - signal cut/loss.

I'm not looking for panning, just an even split into two preamps (XTL and ADA). I tried it with the Line Mixer I just got, but as you can imagine I also get a 3rd always-clean signal, and can't really mix it out.
        I suppose I could try it through the FX return of the Line Mixer, then Master Outs to the ADA and XTL, then back in, but then I'd probably end up with the always-clean 3rd signal.

Hmmmm. I'm trying to understand how the Dunlop circuit can run without batteries, yet yield a high gain (mostly for driving long cables - has no noticeable impact on actual signal-to-preamp like a booster or anything).
        Anyway, I'll try jumping a 2nd output jack and see what gives.

Funny thing, the housing already has a hole next to the Output jack - probably their Standard Base design they use for the Crybaby as well.

Anyhoo, the hole might be big enough for a jack - haven't checked [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Well, color me retarded. I guess I'm gettin old in my old age - normally I'd experiment first and ask how I blew it to bits later [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So I dug up a spare jack, and surprise of all surprises, it fits in the plugged hole next to the existing jack.
          So then I dig up two jumpers - one for ground and one for lead - and plug a cable into the new jack, hit the guitar, and start poking on the board with the lead jumper, and found the one I'd need to solder a wire onto for the new jack. Then I plug another cable into the existing jack and hit the guitar again, and unplug/replug the cables - YAY! No signal loss!

So while I'm digging for my new coldheat soldering iron which I've had for a month and never used, I run across one of those Radio Shack splitter adaptors. Just for grins I stick it in the existing jack and shove two cables into it and hit the guitar and do the plug/unplug shuffle - NO SIGNAL LOSS [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

So, for future reference, a Dunlop HighGain volume pedal - GCB-80 - can take a 2-way splitter out the side with no signal loss [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm stoked. Truly. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X