82 Strathead has sprouted fangs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 Strathead has sprouted fangs?

I have had this guitar since it was new and this has only happened in the last year or so. It is a Rosewood board on a Birdseye maple neck. I oil the fingerboard about twice a year. Upon taking it out of it's case last week for the first time in about 8 months I noticed that the the fret ends are sticking out of the fingerboard. What can be done to fix this. I did change cases last time I oiled the neck to one that I thought was better and now this. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Re: 82 Strathead has sprouted fangs?

Probably just neck shrinkage due to climate/humidity changes. ( at least thats what I tell my wife ). It may go away once the weather swings back the other way. You also may just need to have the fret ends filed down again. It happens.-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

yep. it's a little surprising to me that it happened to you since you're in southern california and the climate is pretty constant, but that kinda thing does happen, and the frets will eventually move back when the neck expands again.

that said, if the tangs are sticking out of the side of the fretboard, you can file them flat.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Do you get the oil near the frets? Dan Erlewine says (in his books) to be careful because the oil can get under the frets and loosen them up, and when that happens, you can't glue them back down because of the oil.

edit: Never mind-I thought you said the frets were coming up.

Sully has the right answer. Strange because I had my Aria's in CA from 1985-1997 with no problems, and no problem since here in Cincy. They are rosewood/maple as well.

Comment

but are the necks finished?

man, i used to love those aria pro catalogs back in the day. always dug the 1/2 black and 1/2 white explorer type thing they had....

hm....gotta go check ebay. be right back! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

oh hell yes! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-1980s-Aria-Pro...1QQcmdZViewItem
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

man that bridge pickup is almost underneath the floyd!

Comment

i know! dig the retainer bar location! oh man, that's crazy.
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Nice to see someone here that has had a strathead since new. Got pictures?
                  It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

I had 2 but only have the one now. I will try to post some pics in the next couple of days.

Comment

I used to have one f those Aria ZZ's. Only difference was, mine was all black, ( set neck or neck thru...I cant remember ) and a Real Floyd. I e-mailed Aria about it and got back a translated response something like: " We no make that model no more. No one remembers model you speak of. All old people quit."-Lou
                      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Working...
                      X